A small simple circuit to get 5 volts from 230 volts mains.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by simmi, May 9, 2016.

1. simmi

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Hi.
    Summer is approaching and my fan has finally been taken out from its resting place. Which reminded me that I have always wanted to make it wireless.
    It runs from the mains so it uses 230 volts.

I would like to know if there is a simple way to get 5 volts from the mains 230 volts to power the peripherals I need to make it wireless. This would most likely be an Arduino chip connected to a Bluetooth module. So I would require 5 volts and something like 100mA making 0.5W.

Smallest and least complicated design wins! :D

Cheers!

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    But a wall wart. Just one part (for you), and extremely cheap.

John

3. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Not only cheap, but free. Check with your friends. They probably have some laying around in a junk drawer. I get mine from a thrift store for $0.75US...5VDC/2.0A

Ken

4. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I agree -- a wallwart is definitely the least complicated (from your perspective) and almost certainly the cheapest. It may or may not be the smallest, but they aren't very big so it should be small enough.

Do NOT build a transformerless power supply if you run across the design for one. My guess is that you probably lack the experience to work with these circuits safely and you don't want to go poking around your 5 V circuitry only to find yourself tangled up with 230 VAC.

5. simmi

Dec 29, 2009
    When you say "wall mart" I assume you mean an already produced power supply that is plugged into a wall socket and provides a different voltage. In this case 5 volts.
    If so, then that is exactly what I am trying to avoid.
    I would like the electronics to be inside the fan's casing.

I agree with you that that is the easiest solution though. But not what I want. Unless it is small enough to fit inside the fan housing and I can "plug it in" the mains inside the housing. Hmm. I have not thought of that before :) Might be viable if I find a super small power supply.

6. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Depending on how much room you have inside the casing, you may very well be able to put the body of the wallwart inside it. You probably want a corded unit so that you can cut the cord and splice it into the fan's cord. Be sure to take into account any polarization of the cord when you do so.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    We see a lot of this. It sounds something like, "I saw one, therefore I must have the education, skills, and test instruments required to build them better, faster, and cheaper." Sorry, pal. Those days are over.
    In 1950, anything a man could build, a man could fix. It just isn't true now. There are thousands of things so far advanced that you could pick any 5 and the smartest person you can find couldn't repair most of them. High frequency power supplies are an excellent example of turning me into a dinosaur. I can still do bloody wonderful things with an analog power supply design, but out-classing a high speed switcher isn't one of them.

Sensacell likes this.
  8. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    That was going to be my suggestion. An iphone charger clone is small and cheap. If you don't have room for the receptacle end of an extension cord, solder the line cord wires directly to the AC plug pins. Important: cover the connections with shrink tubing, preferably two layers of it on each pin. This is what I travel with instead of a USB male-female extension cable. 10 feet long, can reach far-away airport wall outlets, cost pennies. Geek travelers envy me.

ak

9. simmi

Dec 29, 2009
  10. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    That would work just fine.

Or you could just crack open an old USB adapter and use its circuit board for free.

11. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    I gut wall warts frequently. The only problem I have is how to mount them. Components are mounted to the very edges of the PCBs. You have to be creative. ;)

Ken

12. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    RTV silicone.
    Or
    Two part epoxy if you are in a hurry.

13. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    If its a 5v smpsu you're after, an old nokia or mobile phone charger will do...crack one open..

14. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
  15. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    What is a wireless fan?

16. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Used to be an open window.

17. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Wouldn't the mains cord be a wire?

18. Picbuster

Dec 2, 2013
    One chip, plus some low cost components , is doing this. Its the lnk304gn.
    However no mains separation so be careful.
    Picbuster

19. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    In addition to being against the TOS, an lnk304gn, 6 resistors, 5 diodes, 1 inductor, 6 capacitors, and 2 transistors plus a PCB isn't a simple power supply by my definition.

20. dannyf

Sep 13, 2015
    that's easy enough: find a 5v converter that's small enough to fit into your fan or find a fan that's big enough to house your 5v converter.