A Simple Tug Start Generator into An Electric Start Generator?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by aq_rules, Oct 28, 2009.

1. aq_rules

Thread Starter Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Can I convert my simple tug start generator into an ELECTRIC Start Generator???
    If yes.
    How??

2. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    aq_rules,

I'm afraid a little more detail would be necessary in order for us to help you. What is a "tug start generator"?

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    By "tug start", I am assuming that it has a handle on a rope that you pull to get the engine turning over.

We don't know what brand or model generator you have.

We don't know where in the world you live, so don't know what parts might be available to you.

We don't know what your mechanical abilities are.

Maybe the manufacturer of the generator has an electric start conversion kit for it?

4. aq_rules

Thread Starter Member

Oct 28, 2009
    a simple rope start generator...similar to kick start

5. aq_rules

Thread Starter Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Jasco 1 Kva generator(chinese brand) i live in pakistan i hope all parts are available here....

6. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I am unfamiliar with the Jasco brand. I don't think that they are sold where I live.

1KVA is a very small generator. The recoil start would be easy to pull.

I briefly went on the Jascopower website. It does not appear that they offer an electric start version in that size, only "recoil start"; same as "tug start" or "pull start". I did not see an option to get an electric start accessory.

If you wanted to attempt to add electric starting to your generator, you would need to find a suitable electric starter motor that you could adapt to the design, along with a lead-acid battery of sufficient power to turn the motor over. You could not run the generator safely inside a dwelling, nor could you use a typical automotive lead-acid battery safely inside a dwelling.

You would also need to charge the battery back up from the generator, which would reduce the power available from the generator. Either that, or you would have to wait to charge it up when the electric power came back on; and your battery life would be very short.

7. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    Possibly the electric starter motor from a small motorcycle?

Some have a chain drive and a built-in freewheel clutch in one of the sprocket wheels (so the starter can turn the engine but the engine does not turn the starter).

8. aq_rules

Thread Starter Member

Oct 28, 2009
    thanks man...can u give more detail....which typ of motor cycle??

9. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    Sorry, no idea - you would have to ask at a motorcycle repairer or scrapyard, see if they have anything suitable.

10. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    How accessible is a shaft end? If you can put a nut on it or a "spinner" dome, then you can start it with a portable electric drill or small PM starter motor with a matching cup. Look up model airplane or helicopter starters. Many model engines are at least 1 HP.

I used a hand drill to start a small lawn mower for years.

John

11. aq_rules

Thread Starter Member

Oct 28, 2009
    my generator is of 2.4 hp...wat is a PM starting motor and a matching cup>>>

12. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    PM = permanent magnet

Here is a typical model starter made from a permanent magnet DC motor:
    [​IMG]

Here is what a typical matching spinner looks like. They come in many sizes. You can even use a nut.
    [​IMG]

John

13. aq_rules

Thread Starter Member

Oct 28, 2009
    can u tell me how much it costs??

14. aq_rules

Thread Starter Member

Oct 28, 2009
    john plz tell me inexpensive hand drill method...plzz....and can i fix that hand drill with my generator all the time???

15. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    For my lawn mower, which was about the same power as you have, I used a couple of nuts on the same shaft that held the pull starter. They were about 9/16 SAE. I used a nut, small lock washer, and nut. Then tightened the nuts until the flats aligned. You could just use two nuts and maybe some LocTite. For the drill, I took a 9/16 socket, put a 3/8 threaded bolt though it, tightened it with a nut (you could use a carriage bolt for more security), then chucked the threaded rod in the drill chuck. It took a little coordination to start and pull the socket off the nuts on the motor shaft. But, it is an easy rhythm to get used to. It was an old lawn mower, and it always worked with the drill starter.

The advantage of using a cone system, like for the models, is that it cannot grab and is easy to get the starter off the motor once it starts. We start engines well over 5 HP with that system.

John

16. aq_rules

Thread Starter Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Thanks alott...

17. aq_rules

Thread Starter Member

Oct 28, 2009
    One last question . .
    Can i run dis drill on any kinda battery?
    Volts?ah?

18. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I have no idea what will work with your drill.

I used a typical, battery powered, 3/8" drill. It already had the batteries in it.

John