A simple question for confirmation

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by FND, Apr 2, 2009.

1. FND

Thread Starter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Hi All,

I am a new comer in this forum, would appreciate some assistance and please do welcome me. =)

I'm just testing a simple circuit with 2 9Vs battery which I would require to draw about 1A of current out of it within only miliseconds.

I was wondering, if i just use a microswitch without relay to complete the circuit, will there be a spark developed at the switch? And would there be any difference if I place the switch before or after the load?

Help please.. Thank you.

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Those little batteries don't have the capacity to supply an amp of current. We might be able to suggest some alternative if you can say what you are trying to do.

All switches are noisy on opening and closing, although with only 9 or 18 volts applied (you haven't made it clear if the batteries were to be in parallel or series), the spark would be very small. The nature of the load will have a big influence on that.

3. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    Actually, for a millisecond, they can! Considerably more than that, actually. But I wouldn't give them a steady diet of that. :)

eric

4. FND

Thread Starter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Thank you both for your reply.

The batteries I would arrange it in parallel so I would be able to get a high current. I need exactly 0.9A for a period of about 3-5milisecond. I have yet to measure the load's impedence to know how many batteries I need.

My only concern here is about the developing of spark at the switch. If it's like what you said, the spark would be very small, then I shouldn't worry of getting shock, rite?

5. FND

Thread Starter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Thank you both for your reply.

The batteries I would arrange it in parallel so I would be able to get a high current. I need exactly 0.9A for a period of about 3-5milisecond. I have yet to measure the load's impedence to know how many batteries I need.

My only concern here is about the developing of spark at the switch. If it's like what you said, the spark would be very small, then I shouldn't worry of getting shock, rite?

6. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    A Brand New Energizer 9V Battery has an internal resistance of 1.5 Ohms.

If you draw 1A from a 9V battery, it will only be at 7.5V. With 2 in parallel, the 1A would be at 8.25V

A Better solution would be a pack of 7 NiCad batteries in series, along with a 1A current regulator circuit.

7. FND

Thread Starter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Thanks for the info. I will give it a consideration about the current regulator and the 7 NiCad batts.

At the same time, my plan is to make the circuit as small/compact as possible.

8. flat5

Nov 13, 2008
    Would a large capacitor overcome the internal resistance problem?
    I would imagine even without using a supercap just using a charged cap would allow 1 amp for .005 seconds.
    I have not done the math, though :)

9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I did something dumb on one of my experiments, and dead shorted a 9V alkaline for a period. They provide 1 amp quite nicely, no voltage, but 1 amp. :rolleyes:

10. wr8y

Sep 16, 2008
    Energizer makes no claim that their 9 volt batteries will provide an amp.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/522.pdf

(See page 2)

You might get close to it with two - but as another poster indicated, it won't be 9 volts. :cool:

11. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    Yes it would...I was thinking along the same lines. :)

eric

12. flat5

Nov 13, 2008
    Thank you, KL7AJ. It's nice when a post does not just go off into space :)