A research about the Bar-Code Reader

E&C Genius

Joined Dec 9, 2009
Hello everyone...

I'm an Electrical Engineering Student who wants to join this great community to enhance my abilities and acquire more knowledge about my Specialty.

In this semester, I'm taking a course about Electromagnetic Fields. And I was asked by the professor to submit a research about the {Bar-Code Reader Technology} as a well known EM application.

I started by locking in the Internet about the subject but I didn't find that much of sufficient information.

So I need you to point me to the right direction in order to complete this kind of works, by any thing that you find helpful such as a certain book, a web site or any other precious idea that can helps.

Finally, I hope I can be a good member here in this kingdom, since this is my very first thread.

Your new friend;
E&C Genius

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
what type of Barcode are you planning on reading with EM??? most are read by Laser barcode readers or some kind of optical system, never heard of a magnetic barcode...... unless you are talking about magnetic cards such as credit cards???? Then that would be a magnetic stripe reader no a barcode reader, a barcode is composed of matrices of lines or symbols not magnetic fields....

E&C Genius

Joined Dec 9, 2009
Thank you for fast replying Mr.BMorse...

I'm aware of what you're saying but doesn't <Laser> is included as another application of Electromagnetic Fields?

My textbook {Fundamentals of Applied Electromagnetics,by Prof. Zawwaz T. Ulaby, 5th edition} demonstrate this facts (see the pictures below)...

And also, about the type of Bar-Codes that I am planning on reading with EM, it is not the one used in the credit cards...etc, but it's the well known one that we see at the super markets. WHAT ELSE!

sorry about the HUGE pictures ;)

The Last two lines

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
And also, about the type of Bar-Codes that I am planning on reading with EM, it is not the one used in the credit cards...etc, but it's the well known one that we see at the super markets. WHAT ELSE!

sorry about the HUGE pictures ;)
For one, I am very well versed in barcode reader technologies, I develop software for automating machinery based on product barcodes (I design automated Soda Container Recycling machines) that read barcodes off of different products and commodity types.... This includes all barcode types used in supermarkets and random weight modulo barcodes....

There are several used in a supermarket, UPC-A, UPC-E, and also Random Weight Modulo barcodes.....

What pictures????

Here read this to understand barcode symbology concepts >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcode#Types_of_barcodes