A Rat in the house, or is it a mouse..donno, don't care!!!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Glue traps and spring traps are cruel and take a long time to kill. If you think about it, electrocution is fast and merciful without pain. That's how we humans prefer to kill each other when sentenced in court to die... why not apply the same principle to unwanted rodents.
It has been thought about, and the US Supreme Court concluded that electrocution is not a humane method. Electrocution has not been used in the US for many years based on that decision. Firing squad and Guillotine are not bad. Forensic studies have also shown that hanging is pretty quick and painless, but it is more subject to operator error than the other two methods just mentioned. When messed up, hanging can be pretty gruesome and death results from strangulation rather than a quick snapping of the neck and severing of the spinal cord.

John

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I will remind all of you that rats are very intelligent animals, to outsmart them takes skill.

I don't mind wildlife unless they've taken over an area they don't belong in and cause damage. Girls (women) are especially against them as they are spiders and snakes. What they don't understand is that rats, like mice, can squeeze into tiny places by flattening their body. They're usually in search of food, the best deterrent is not to offer it to them in the first place as in leaving food and other garbage around because, as with ants, they tend to "spread the word" if they find a good source then set up housekeeping.

I've got a spider problem they hate but there's no way I can spray 125K ft*sq of ceiling area that's 28' above ground level and that's where they hide, coming down on occasion and setting up webs where we have the emergency lighting fixtures. They're harmless, I only call for action when I spot a brown recluse (fidldeback) spider but they tend to reside at floor level in corners and such.

I also can't control the sometimes exotic creatures that have hitched a ride all the way over here from China or any of the other 24 or so countries we source product from. Got a rather strange lizard once, one of the workers made a pet out of it. It's just part of life, I've lived in the true country too many times to let things like this bother me. About the only two that do bother me are brown recluse spiders (although Im fairly immune to them by now) and cottonmouth snakes. A brown recluse can cause serious damages but it's rare to encouter a cottonmouth unless you're in their territory such as certain parts of lakes or farm ponds. 99% of all snakes will go out or their way to avoid you but cottonmouths are territorial and will take chase.

I occasionally bait our warehouse with Contract Blocks but good facilities maintenance works better than anything. No food sources found = they usually look elsewhere after a while.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I try to avoid anticoagulant rodenticides (http://www.pestmall.com/contrac-blox-rodenticide-mice-poison.html?gclid=CJ2Q5ri_s6MCFRptgwod_Fsr6Q) as the pest may die in the walls or other places where you really don't want the smell. With strychnine, you can have some control over where the pest dies. Unfortunately, strychnine-like poisons are effectively unavailable to non-licensed exterminators in the US. I don't know whether licensed exterminators can get it, but it would probably have to be used off-label for mice and rats.

John

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Ultra sonic to scare away the bats are good idea. These guys are coming back since the tree is starting to bear fruits that bats are very fond of.

Hanging is the method that should be used to kill bad guys (humans). Any other way is painful even though many think they aren't. Dead don't speak, so how will any one know other ways other than hanging won't hurt. Hanging causes blood to stop reaching to the brain. You pass out without pain, I know cause I tried it once. I quite when I was about to pass out, wasn't painful at all.
Now don't judge me in your psychotic ways. I am not psychotic.

Hanging is the way our creator has mentioned. Any other way is prohibited.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Ultrasound all yu want, I'm n the camp that it doesn't work or if it does the effect is only temporary until they get used to the sound.

I have a limited license, can get away with buying even more from a co-op if I'm donning a John Deere hat and if need be I have a friend who's license is full and legit.

One thing I do keep is a half a 2-1/2 gallon jug of 40% Lorsban from the co-op. (split it with a friend) It's just highly concentrated Dursban (banned from residential sales) yet a highly efffective all-around pesticide when you need to pack some punch. I have virtually no Chlordane left and the small amount of DDT I still possess from the early 60s rarely sees the sight of day, they're just not as good as the Lorrsban is.

Around the job I stick with the different pyrethins and a good IGR. They tend to vary in speed of knockdown and residual activity but they're all human safe and don't smell the place up. I also have one of the even newer ones that are just starting to hit the market. As with the pyrethins knockdown is somewhat slow but residual is about twice. Unless you're only needing to treat small areas on occasion it pays to visit a true pesticide wholesaler and buy pints or quarts. 1/2 oz or so per gallon goes a long way, you're afforded the luxury of being able to mix a couple to broaden the range of insects controlled and by mxing it up from time to time resistance is less likely to develop. Be prepared for sticker shock, however a little lasts for a long time.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hanging causes blood to stop reaching to the brain. You pass out without pain, I know cause I tried it once.
While hanging does impede blood flow to the brain, its modern use in capital punishment is based on severing the spinal cord to paralyze breathing and conscious pain, not strangulation. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging Scan down to standard drop and long drop. The biggest problem with long drop is decapitation.

As for little critters, neck breakage or decapitation were (maybe still are) used prior to disposal after an experiment. Thus, I like the old standard mouse trap or live trapping for larger pests.

John

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Yup. Hanging does break the spine. If it break death is instant thus no pain.

But when we talk about pain, what I said earlier contradicts with what I am saying now.

Death is painful to some. In my belief they always painful to none believers. Non- believers are those who do not believe in the whole capable true god. It is said that you can sense ur soul ripping away from ur toes to your head. I cannot imagine anything worse than that.

But Death comes swift and completely pain less to a martyr.

At the instant of the first droplet of a true martyr hits the ground his sins are wiped clean and he/she feels no pain in death. As he dies he can smell the scent of paradise.
Martyr does not involve to those who blow up themselves killing innocents. Let that be a believer or non believer and in no way any one who does that goes to paradise. Any one who takes his own life is condemned in hell fire for ever.
It is one sin that Almighty god never forgives. Life is very precious and we are not allow to take by our selves in any way

As for pests it is said to kill them in one blow and in one blow alone. Suffering them is prohibited in my religion too. We can kill only those who pose us a threat in health or becomes a danger to our life

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
I still think a killer should be killed in the exact same manner his/her victim was killed. That's off-topic though, and my own personal thoughts.

R!f@@,

Check this out: http://www.discovercircuits.com/P/pests.htm

there's gotta be something in there that you can use to get rid of the bats. Try an oscillator around 23KHz, mice and other rodents don't like that frequency either.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
<snip> I wouldn't want to try this out as a trap though. I have already accidently shocked myself twice with this and it is not pleasant!

Last edited by a moderator:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
tom66: I did some editing of your post. We have a policy of not promoting high voltage discharge capacitor banks and such. Too dangerous for the unwary.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Start worshiping the bats and rats. Then you will think you are blessed every time you see one crapping on your door knobs ;)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I like the gun but it is a bit too much. I will be killing everything else besides the bats.
I like to get my hands on a sniper scope.

These **** are from bats that feed in the tree. My house wall needs to be repainted every time. I am the only one living in the vicinity of this tree. It is in a government building. They can clean everyday with their servants, How the <snip> can I everyday.

I don't mind them bats feeding but <snip> on my house tends to make things personal.

Last edited by a moderator:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Electrocuting will be done very carefully. Everybody will be informed on the trick and I'll have warnings place before the trap and besides my family is pretty well informed abt electricity since I am around.

First let's see if I can Fry the bugger if it fails, I'll get a base ball bat, block every exit and try to get home run. :D

Peanut butter..hmmm..I like peanut butter :p

And what happens if the rodent can read? :)