A question for the math guys

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Could you supply a reference for that? I've heard it before but can't confirm it. Seems apocryphal to me (would love it to be true).
Can't speak for american history, but British members may remember AP Herberts 'misleading cases' written in the early twentieth century and made into a TV series.

Case 1 was 'The negotiable Cow' , where the cheque was written on the side of a cow.

These cases are all pretty humerous.

:D

Can't speak for american history, but British members may remember AP Herberts 'misleading cases' written in the early twentieth century and made into a TV series.

Case 1 was 'The negotiable Cow' , where the cheque was written on the side of a cow.

These cases are all pretty humerous.

:D
I posted a link that talks about the Cow Check above.

I have a question for you...if you are from the U.K.

I have been to the U.K. many times touring in my band and one thing that KILLS US is the amount of money we are taxed for doing so.

I mean...the percentage paid out is REDICULOUS and although I usually am not involved it the money aspect of such things other than getting my end...we have with us an Expert from the Label Touring Division who's sole job is to make sure we don't get screwed paying out money we don't need to as every time we tour in Europe...these...OUT OF NOWHERE...Permit Fees and Special Taxes specific to Luxury, Travel, Boarder Crossings...the reasons are ENDLESS...pop up and this person from the Company is with us to...well let's say...Grease the Wheel to keep things rolling.

Back in 91...we ended up paying out 56% of out total take from one venue and 25% of this was a Special Luxury Tax. When I heard about it the next day I went nuts and traveled with the Money Guy from the Label to a British Tax office that had a specific name I can't remember...if you know tell me.

I went with the Label guy and they brought us in a private room to go over this in a Declared Dispute that we were told usually would take several months to a year and we were supposed to PREPAY this UNKNOWN TO ANYONE Tax that unlike everything else we get paid for...is taken out ahead of our payment.

This of course had us very suspicious. The amount was substantial so because of this we went there if it had been a small amount we would have just paid it and be done with it.

Since we had quite a few shows to do ahead of us in the U.K. we threatened to cancel the tour before paying such outrageous taxes. They brought into the room this woman in her 50's that started spitting out percentages and numbers off the top of her head without even looking at the paper work and she finished up by saying...You are correct. Our Tax calculation was wrong.

I said...Oh...Good. She replied...we made a mistake...you owe us x amount of Pounds more!

My Label guy started to get angry and argue but I could tell this woman had CRAZY MATH SKILLS and I said...just give us a copy of this Luxury Tax Law and we will pay and be on our way.

This was the only time during any U.K. tour this ever happened and we found out later that we were being charged a Luxury Tax for Personal Property.

You know anything about this?

Split Infinity

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
542...You are alright!

Even though I posted a reply made to make people laugh...and I will admit the second part of the reply was kind of a riddle...I appreciate your reply to my reply being good willed and using humor.

I hope others will look at your reply and you Highly Evolved Social and Emotional IQ and take away from it the understanding that no matter how high a person scored on an IQ Test...and no matter how good a person may be in Math or Physics or Electronics...such people can be utter Emotional and Social MORONS as current methods of guaging intelligence are developed by many of these Emotional and Social Morons.

I am older than you are and my fields of work are already set but I am always trying to learn something new. THAT is what I love about Math and Physics...there is always something new over the horizon that we from time to time discover and then enjoy postulating what and how such new information can be used to benefit everyone.

I took notice that your topic asked a question based in a manner that showed me you have interest and HOPE in what the future for you and all of us maybe with that HOPE being specific to the use of Math to make all our lives better. And I believe that you feel such HOPE that easily springs from people such as yourself might become VIRAL when the day comes that someone...perhaps YOU...using MATH and asking the BIG QUESTIONS or even perhaps the little questions...will allow you or the like to provide the answer to such questions.

Such an answer that by it's nature will present change on such a revolutionary scale is all about FINDING OUT WHAT IS THE RIGHT QUESTION to spend the time calculating an answer to...an answer that will change everything.

Perhaps all that I have typed here is the rambling of a dreamer and perhaps I am wrong about how I think of you...but I really hope not. If I am right about you...it is people like you asking and trying to calculate answers that will change everything.

Split Infinity
That was deep and <elongated sniff> subjective.

That was deep and <elongated sniff> subjective.
You have to understand...and after some time and experience you will understand only too well...that the vast majority of students have very carefully...and usually with the help of their family...planned out just about every specific action, direction, reason and future as to what they are taking specific classes for and how important for their plans is getting into specific Professors classes and how such plans include joining specific Frats and Clubs and other groups that will be beneficial to getting in with the Good Ol'e Boy's which leads to getting a High Paying Job.

Once a person takes this route and takes a job or position that was GIVEN to them as a PAY OFF in that at some future date...that new employee will be asked and will not have the choice to say no...will have to do something or perform a specific act that this GIVEN job is a part of as well as such a person in such a job is what the plan was from the beginning of such people of power as a system of them giving favors and receiving payment at a latter date through a requested favor from the person they installed in such a position allows such people to stay on top of the Money Pile.

I read your opening post and could sense your Hope and Excitement of your possible future and you should never loose this. And you will not loose this as long as you do not align yourself or actually become indebted to such groups and becoming so is more subtle and sometimes almost unknown to the youth until it becomes time to collect.

All this may seem all too much as far as the seriousness in the manner I post...but as you will get older you will see that this is the way of things from things as innocuous as getting your trashed picked up as say a Lab or Office which you might be a part of...a given project to you or perhaps your group at a Corp. which you work for in a dept. that handles say anything from Custom Programming for the Companies Systems...or Statistics for purpose of sales and trends...or say you have to crunch some numbers to help with the targeting and acquisition aspect of a AMB system developed by a company that if you might live in my state of Massachusetts...is very well known as well as has employees in great numbers that are grads from the same state and are kids like yourself who love Math.

NOTHING IN LIFE IS FREE...and if at some point you are PRESENTED with an opportunity that has been set up or arranged by supposed FRIENDS and Group Members of such Clubs, Frats, Colleges...etc...an opportunity which is in your field, pays exceptionally well...and EVERYONE who works at this company from the MOMENT you come in for a Job Interview that they set up to the moment that favor is asked of you...WILL BE SOOOO NICE over that time that even YOU would not even consider refusing such a favor no matter what such developed equations or tech. apps could and WILL be used for.

I know of such things only all too well...and no matter what level of seriousness and abilities such people have and are...this concept is the same and the benefits/favors thing has been going on as long as there have been animals on Earth....but at some point in your life and career...THIS WILL HAPPEN.

So the questions you should ask your self is...is the Money worth it? How much selling out is too much? And the all important question...What happens if I say NO?

If you never allow yourself to be placed in such debt is the standard answer given by ALL YOUTH...but if you aspire to be anything greater than a person who uses their Math Skills to just teach 5th Grade Algebra...YOU WILL ENCOUNTER SUCH PEOPLE AND GROUPS.

I wish you LUCK and the skill and ability to see such things coming.

Split Infinity