A question for the math guys

Discussion in 'Math' started by amilton542, Apr 30, 2013.

1. amilton542

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 13, 2010
    What discipline (s) in maths interests you the most?

I'd say, for me, it would have to be: Vector and Tensor Analysis, Lagrangian Dynamics, Linear Algebra, Set-Theory/Group Theory, Polynomials and Euclid & Non-Euclid Geometry.

Given the opportunity, and after I leave education, I will devote all my time to these areas alongside a full-time job.

Where do you hope to be with your math studies in x amount of years?

2. SplitInfinity

Mar 3, 2013
    Being capable of counting 100 Bearer Bonds without losing my place in the numbers! LOL!

I would just LOVE to be able to memorise a base 19 system for reasons specific to one of my JOBS just to make a splash!

Split Infinity

3. amilton542

Nov 13, 2010
    Just use the Unary numeral system ;)

Why do you need to work with a base 19 number system for?

4. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    He could tell you, but then he'd have to kill you. He does work for the JOB, you know. ( cue the theme for "get Smart") http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APyut2B7tdo

DerStrom8 likes this.
  5. amilton542

Nov 13, 2010
  6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Secret agent, if he told you he would have to kill you. Sarcasm in other words. I thought strongly about moderating the post, but changed my mind.

7. SplitInfinity

Mar 3, 2013
    You guy's are jumping to conclusions. The base 19 thing has to do with my families Medical Company.

I suppose it is my fault you assumed different.

Split Infinity

8. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    That's it, now you all have to die. Wait, I read it too. Let's talk about this.

shortbus likes this.
  9. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    It's because there are 19 chromosomes and so base-19 is the natural system for manipulating genetic material so that the government can control our very being. And if anyone has told you that there are more chromosomes than that, they are lackeys for the vast DNA-wing conspiracy!

10. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Getting back to the OT, while I think I probably have stronger math skills than most engineers, I am by no means a math guy. But I was fascinated with the mathematical underpinnings of cryptography, namely discrete math topics, and would love to delve into that more deeply. Getting a better understanding of complex variables would also be nice.

11. SplitInfinity

Mar 3, 2013
    Did you happen to notice the recent news as some Medico's are stating that within 30 days they will release the data detailing the CURE FOR AID'S?

By the way...would you like me to see if I can help you make your Brown Eyes Blue? LOL!

Split Infinity...p.s....Medical, Physics...whatever...It's all MATH Baby!

12. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Real Analysis, Chaos and Cellular Automata

13. amilton542

Nov 13, 2010
    Real Analysis excluded, I've never heard of such!

Wow, they look interestin'. A bit more of a "pick-a-mix", but interesting; truly.

I can't believe only three members have posted their areas of interest. The math forum's a fossilised relic.

14. SplitInfinity

Mar 3, 2013
    542...You are alright!

Even though I posted a reply made to make people laugh...and I will admit the second part of the reply was kind of a riddle...I appreciate your reply to my reply being good willed and using humor.

I hope others will look at your reply and you Highly Evolved Social and Emotional IQ and take away from it the understanding that no matter how high a person scored on an IQ Test...and no matter how good a person may be in Math or Physics or Electronics...such people can be utter Emotional and Social MORONS as current methods of guaging intelligence are developed by many of these Emotional and Social Morons.

I am older than you are and my fields of work are already set but I am always trying to learn something new. THAT is what I love about Math and Physics...there is always something new over the horizon that we from time to time discover and then enjoy postulating what and how such new information can be used to benefit everyone.

I took notice that your topic asked a question based in a manner that showed me you have interest and HOPE in what the future for you and all of us maybe with that HOPE being specific to the use of Math to make all our lives better. And I believe that you feel such HOPE that easily springs from people such as yourself might become VIRAL when the day comes that someone...perhaps YOU...using MATH and asking the BIG QUESTIONS or even perhaps the little questions...will allow you or the like to provide the answer to such questions.

Such an answer that by it's nature will present change on such a revolutionary scale is all about FINDING OUT WHAT IS THE RIGHT QUESTION to spend the time calculating an answer to...an answer that will change everything.

Perhaps all that I have typed here is the rambling of a dreamer and perhaps I am wrong about how I think of you...but I really hope not. If I am right about you...it is people like you asking and trying to calculate answers that will change everything.

Split Infinity

15. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Bearer bonds are not legal anymore ,I been carry-in this heavy load of old paper

for a long time. Trying to trade them for gold.

16. SplitInfinity

Mar 3, 2013
    Your answer should be...Not Legal...where!

Split Infinity

17. SplitInfinity

Mar 3, 2013
    In the old days...good sized Corps. would have Slush Funds and convert this cash off shore or in Swiss Miss land to Bearer Bonds which came in Negotiable and Non-Negotiable and one of these cold be insured.

Of course if they were insured they would be known to exist. The ones that were insured were often STOLEN then as the corp. would recover the money from the insurance company anyway's...the group that would steal them would often get in touch with the CEO of such companies and sell them back to them at anywhere's from 65% to 75%.

I think there was a movie done about this years ago but I can't remember the name of it.

Anyway's...such large corps. very often employ Statistical Mathematician's to calculate what and where the best place would be to skim profits for garnishing such money placed in Slush Funds.

Bearer Bonds were the choice of how to store such cash.

Split Infinity

18. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Bearer bonds are still legal (assuming you are talking about the U.S.), but interest paid by the issuer is not tax deductible and interest paid to the holder is not tax exempt even in the case of municipal bonds. So no place is willing to issue them in any large amounts.

There's really no way to make them illegal. If I give you an IOU for $20 that says that it is payable on demand (and meets a couple other simply tests) then it is a promissory note (a legally enforceable negotiable instrument) and is a bearer bond. If you give it to someone else who then comes to me to collect, I am required to pay them.

19. SplitInfinity

Mar 3, 2013
    Kind of on an off note...as it applies to Checks. In the U.S. at least...a check is defined as material that has written or printed upon it the name of the Bank the account the money is to be drawn from...the account number...routing number...check number...then of course the name of the person or entity, the amount in numbers as well as the amount to be drawn in written words...the date and if desired...a valid through date.

Just so everyone knows...if a check says VOID after 90 days...it really is not and can be cashed.

This guy who owed the IRS $250,000 wrote all this out on a pair of Dirty Underwear...Whitey Tighties! LOL!

The IRS had to take the underwear as it was considered a VALID CHECK!

Split Infinity

20. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Could you supply a reference for that? I've heard it before but can't confirm it. Seems apocryphal to me (would love it to be true).