A question about power supply

Peter Pan

Joined Mar 24, 2005
Hello All,

I am choosing a power supply to buy and have known about HY3020 which can produce DV 0-30V and DC 0-20A as manufacturer suggests. As I understand this will be apple to supply a device which consumes up to 600W in continuous mode (as 20A*30V=600W).
Is my understanding correct?

Thank you!:)

P.S. And how much power it could supply in pulse mode (for example if it supplies a pulse generator which produces RF pulses of duration up to 100 millisecond each)?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Do you have a link to the datasheet of the powersupply?

Greetings,
Bertus

PS are you still busy with your NMR project?

Peter Pan

Joined Mar 24, 2005
Hello,

Do you have a link to the datasheet of the powersupply?

Greetings,
Bertus

PS are you still busy with your NMR project?
Hi Bertus!Yes, I am busy with NMR project and would like to use this power supply (HY3020) to supply the linear amplifier which you advised me to use on this forum some time ago.I cannot find in Web a datasheet which describes solely HY3020 in detail but have found the other which specifies main features of HY3020 briefly (together with variety of other HY power supplies). I have attached it.

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Are the RF pulses for decoupling?
Normaly RF pulses for exciting an NMR signal are in the order of several micro seconds. (3 - 20 μSec).

Greetings,
Bertus

Peter Pan

Joined Mar 24, 2005
Hello,

Are the RF pulses for decoupling?
Normaly RF pulses for exciting an NMR signal are in the order of several micro seconds. (3 - 20 μSec).

Greetings,
Bertus
These pulse widths are typical for commercial NMR spectrometers but for home-made instruments (my case) it's not a rigid requirement (as far as relaxation times are long enough). It can be used for decoupling although, I agree. I actually meant that as a upper limit, not a typical pulse width. Typical RF excitation pulse width in my spectrometer for a 90 degree pulse should be about 10 uS as in commercial liquid state spectrometers.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I do not know waht your budget is, but here I found some "heavy" powersupplies.
http://www.elexp.com/tst_020d.htm

Greetings,
Bertus

PS our 1KWatt transmitters work at 28 Volts 160 A.
These are made for pulse powers at 1 KWatt and decoupling at 100 Watt @ 100 mSec.

Peter Pan

Joined Mar 24, 2005
Hello,

I do not know waht your budget is, but here I found some "heavy" powersupplies.
http://www.elexp.com/tst_020d.htm

Greetings,
Bertus

PS our 1KWatt transmitters work at 28 Volts 160 A.
These are made for pulse powers at 1 KWatt and decoupling at 100 Watt @ 100 mSec.
It's interesting - whether coil in decoupling channel is much different (physically) than coil in RF excitation channel? I wonder because not every coil can bear so large power without being burn out.Anyway, back to my question - if manufacturer of a power supply specifies its output in range for DC 0-20A and for DC voltage 0-30V then the maximum power which this power supply can feed is 600W - is it right?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I would expect so.
It does depends how the current limitation works.(And how fast).
It says in the manual that if an overcurrent occurs, the powersupply must be switched off and the load removed before switching it on again.

I think I found the possible schematic of the powersupply.
It contains some relays to keep the voltage on the regulation transistors low.

Greetings,
Bertus

Attachments

Last edited: