A puzzle

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
What in heck is going on here...FWIW this is out of a 1000 watt UPS unit.

If you look close at the picture, at the #8 wire coil, the joined pair, are on the outsides of the coil...

the two being utilized as the output, are coming from the center of the coil... somehow that just doesn't look right.

As this was originally configured, the coil only produced 24.3 volts.. Juggling leads to obtain correct phasing, it now puts out 48 volts... and needless to say, amps out the wazoo.:D

I hooked a common 120v 1/3 hp motor to the two leads, and the motor started repeatedly / ran flawlessly for over 20 minutes, with no smoke or heating of any hookup jumper at all.

The second picture, is the underside of the trans, showing the blue / white leads, which are the normal primary, and a 5 - lead coil , black / brown being on the ends, [ all windings / leads #16 ] with the others as mid-point taps, that produce a maximum of 132 volts AC..

Could it be that the packrat just got lucky for a change ? :eek:

Attachments

Last edited:

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
You know that's not possible, don't you? :D

The 2 windings, no matter which direction wound, can only produce 24v paralleled or 48v series.

They could not have been parallel with two leads tied.:confused:

Check the two winding voltages separately. One must be 36v and one must be 12.

That would give either 24 or 48 when in series, depending on phasing!

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
They must have been paralleled originally, [ dang me I didn't pay attention ] the original output off the primary was 24.3 volts

The 2 joined wires are my work, All 4 used to be tied into two different others [ what must have been ] parallel coils, so I guess I did config them into series... but the 2 out of the center just doesn't look right, 'cuz how in blazes did I pull a series winding out of it...with both ends out of the middle ???????????:confused: One hell of an optical illusion !

Must be looking the proverbial gift horse in the mouth, 'cuz it does what I wanted it to, and I ain't gonna backpedal..:D

I have another 600 watt version of it, though the #8 winding is only one coil, and outputs 24 volts...

Last edited:

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
That is the plan ! :D I am having a ball engineering the possibilities into this thing...
I could have <snip> a brick when I first saw these T1's in the UPS units, I had no real idea what a UPS really was... Just wish I had salvaged more of the discrete components out of them, as I threw out a small fortune :(

adamclark

Joined Oct 4, 2013
That is the plan ! :D

I could have <snip> a brick when I first saw these T1's in the UPS units, I had no real idea what a UPS really was... Just wish I had salvaged more of the discrete components out of them, as I threw out a small fortune :(
don't those things have gold and platinum terminals in them?

adamclark

Joined Oct 4, 2013
I usually go to scrapyards to buy things like transformers and such and the one I usually go to had some laying there and they would not let me near them. platinum and gold terminals was the reason the guy gave me for the "high security"... I just wanted the traffo.. they could keep the damn terminals..lol