A problem with MATLAB

mapisto

Joined Dec 25, 2009
Hi,

I know this isn't exactly the purpse of this forum, but i've got a project in electronics which a part of it is on matlab and everytime i try to save, it saves a shortcut and not the real file!

how am i sure it's a shortcut? it has the sign of a shortcut on the icon, and it weights less the 1 kb!

I've got to send the project tomorrow and I have no idea what am i supposed to do, because i can't send him a shortcut :(

please help :(

thanks

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
What type of file are you trying to save? A .mat file of data or a .mdl file of a Simulink model?

Be careful on what type of file you choose to save in the "save as" menu and where you are choosing to save it.

mapisto

Joined Dec 25, 2009
What type of file are you trying to save? A .mat file of data or a .mdl file of a Simulink model?

Be careful on what type of file you choose to save in the "save as" menu and where you are choosing to save it.
it is a file where i solve a matrix. so i believe i'll only need the variables and not the action i've made while working with it.

I've tried to save as a .mat file, i've also tried to save the file at the MATLAB directory and not on the desktop and I've also tried and wrote a save command on the workspace in matlab itself, but neither has worked, and it always saved a shortcut no matter how I've tried saving the file. :(

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
What version of Matlab do you have, and what operating system?

It sounds like something is corrupted with your program. Have you tried reinstalling Matlab?

mapisto

Joined Dec 25, 2009
What version of Matlab do you have, and what operating system?

It sounds like something is corrupted with your program. Have you tried reinstalling Matlab?

I have windows 7 and Matlab 2010b. ( of course i haven't bought it) and reinstalling won't solve the problem, i'm quite positive about that because be4 i've formatted my comp last time i've had the same problem with the same version : \

so what could I do? : \

mapisto

Joined Dec 25, 2009
Hello,

WHERE did you get the software?
IF you are using an illegal copy it would be FRAUD.

Bertus
The software is expensive, and i'm a student.. In my country students have to work very hard to pay for their studies because our government wouldn't help. and i must use this program for my projects. so please don't judge me if i have no money to pay for it.

What I have, I've downloaded from the internet, and it's supposed to be a good copy which i know many downloaded.

Please, if you have any idea how can i save it properly, tell me and I'll try.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I have windows 7 and Matlab 2010b. ( of course i haven't bought it) and reinstalling won't solve the problem, i'm quite positive about that because be4 i've formatted my comp last time i've had the same problem with the same version : \

so what could I do? : \
I can definitely understand you not wanting to pay $5000 for the legal copy, but perhaps the issue is tied to having a "cracked" copy, with some type of copy protection mechanism kicking in?

You may want to consider buying the Matlab/Simulink student version 2010aSV, which only costs $95. There are very few limitations imposed by the student version and you get many useful libraries with it. I use the full version at work, which allows me to use it on my home computer also, legally. However, I bought the student version for my son who is in college. I tried several of my large Simulink models and they all ran fine. The main limitation is that Simulink does not run in accelerated mode. Matlab does not seem to have any significant limitations.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Please, if you have any idea how can i save it properly, tell me and I'll try.
If you have variables in your Matlab workspace and give the command

save Filename

you should get a proper file Filename.mat in your directory with all variables saved.

If this is not working, you have a software issue that needs to be solved with technical support. However, since you don't have a legal copy, you can't get support.

mapisto

Joined Dec 25, 2009
If you have variables in your Matlab workspace and give the command

save Filename

you should get a proper file Filename.mat in your directory with all variables saved.

If this is not working, you have a software issue that needs to be solved with technical support. However, since you don't have a legal copy, you can't get support.
I've just done excatly as you wrote.
It saved a file, but a shortcut file again.
maybe it isn't a shortcut after all? it weights 401 bytes, so I can't tell.

i've attached a word file which has the exact commands i've done on matlab in it.

Attachments

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I've just done excatly as you wrote.
It saved a file, but a shortcut file again.
maybe it isn't a shortcut after all? it weights 401 bytes, so I can't tell.

i've attached a word file which has the exact commands i've done on matlab in it.
The way to tell is to save with the "save Filename" command and then type "clear" to clear the workspace, and then type "load Filename". If you get your variables back, then you are OK.

I tried your code on my machine and also got 401 bytes, so I think you are OK.

mapisto

Joined Dec 25, 2009
The way to tell is to save with the "save Filename" command and then type "clear" to clear the workspace, and then type "load Filename". If you get your variables back, then you are OK.

I tried your code on my machine and also got 401 bytes, so I think you are OK.
Then it works :)

So it isn't a shortcut after all? omg.. that's a relief!

Thank you ! :)