a primary battery instead of a Rechargeable battery

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by o53, Aug 1, 2014.

1. o53

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Hi there,

Ma says if someone put a primary cell battery (button type) 1V2 instead of a Rechargeable battery of the same type and voltage 1V5, the charging circuit will explode the battery. Why?
    If the battery's voltage is higher than the load ...

Thank you

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Primary cells are not designed for charging. If a charging current is applied (in reverse to the normal output current) then the abnormal chemical reaction in some types of primary cells can generate a gas which can eventually explode the cell if the pressure gets high enough.

I don't understand what the battery's voltage being higher than the load has to do with anything. This is about charging voltage which is always higher than the battery's normal output voltage.

3. o53

Aug 1, 2014
    Thanks crutschow,

Sorry, I made a mistake. In fact the primary cell battery is 1V5 (even more), the Rechargeable battery is 1V2 & the charging voltage is 1V3.

Almost when the primary cell battery is good its voltage is higher than the charging, so the current can't go in. Is in't ?

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    The 1.3V you measure when nothing is connected may not mean much. But you're right that the charger's voltage must overcome the battery's voltage in order to force current in.

When you connect the charger to the primary cell (which you should not do for any extended time), you can see whether the voltage rises slightly or falls slightly. That will tell you whether current is being forced in or pulled out. But again, don't leave it connected except to do your experiment.

5. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    The primary cell won't be at 1.5 forever. ;)

May hold 1.5 until the end of life, but then what?

6. o53

Aug 1, 2014
    duplicate !

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  7. o53

Aug 1, 2014
    Thanks all,

The 1.3V is when the Rechargeable battery is connected. I assume that a different level can be with the primary one.

We put a new cell.

I guess that the device, a Weekly Digital Programmer (with the primary battery), can be stable for almost one year...