A portable light therapy device.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Benny D, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Benny D

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Mod edit:
    Please don't reply to a old thread close to 5 years ago.
    Now you have your own.

This thread was split from -- Building a 'SAD' Light Therapy box.

I have recently built a portable light therapy device to help with my Seasonal Affective Disorder. One thing I learnt was that wavelength is important. Blue and greens (450nm - 550nm) are good for treating SAD, but just using white light without knowing how much blue/green is in there is a big no no. Using blue or green LED's with an output of about 300 lux (measured at the eye, not the light source!) is the way to go.

A couple of good references here:
    https://www.flinders.edu.au/sabs/psychology/research/labs/sleep/bas.cfm
    https://re-timer.com/blog/2015/04/17/green-red-white-or-blue-light-therapy/

2. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Pretty sure Elektor magazines published a project a couple of years ago.

AFAICR: it was pretty much a panel of bog standard blue LEDs.

3. recklessrog

May 23, 2013
    There was one that I saw on sale in France. It contained 4 Phillips "North light" bulbs as used by artists etc, these have a specific spectrum that matches the light from the northern sky. The diffuser looked like a sheet of frosted glass.
    I built a U.V box for exposing photo etch pcb's, I used a piece of the plastic that sits in front of the flourescent tube or led's in lcd tv's as the diffuser with only a piece of 4mm clear glass on top. This attenuated the U.V less than frosted glass. So use thicker frosted, (acid etched) glass if u want to block the U.V.

4. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    I'd shy away from any kind of discharge tubes - even sunbed tubes require filter goggle eye protection.

You can now get UV LEDs - and they come with an eye safety warning!

5. recklessrog

May 23, 2013
    The SAD light box's sold by Maplins and other sources use a special fluorescent tube that they sell separately as a spare.

6. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Quite often; things sold by Maplin are not fit for purpose.

7. recklessrog

May 23, 2013
    Their sad lights seem to be the same as a lot of other suppliers, reviews are mixed, with about 50/50 as to whether they actually do any good. Probably do better to take a short winter holiday to somewhere sunny!

8. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    I'm not sure why, but you shows that as a newbie to replied to a old thread?