A picture sums things up pretty nicely.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I also went to a Vo-Tech high school. The city school, moved to be a county school. We had a wide range of curricula as well.

There were nursing (they always stopped me in the hall to draw blood), dental technicians, cosmetology, graphic artists, auto mechanics, auto body, plumbing, electricians, radio TV servicing (my major), food service, et al. Their website, http://www.nccvotech.com/delcastle-technical-high-school shows all they offer these days ... 41 years after I graduated.

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Public school students in the US have practically no input on curricula or policy, which is just fine with almost all of them.

I remember once when I was staying in Taipei city that a Taiwanese friend and business associate came to me and asked a favor. My hotel (Howard Plaza) was apparently close to where his son was taking an all-day placement test for determining where he would go to college. There was a break in the test during midday, and my friend asked if his son could come to my hotel room to rest, eat, and cool off. I agreed, and allowed the friend, his son, and his wife to have my room for the day. The boy did well, and my friend explained how important that test was for the son and would largely determine how he would spend the rest of his life. I came to understand how seriously most Taiwanese take public schooling.
That is for a future job and money, when any students could get into the public school to study then their family will spend less money than the private school, and when the student graduated from the school, if he apply for a job, the reputation of public school will more easy to get the job than others, that's why many parents always hope their children could get into the public school, and also the salary will effecting their whole life, unless someone to create a success business in the future by their own.

Next year, my daughter will get into the university, she told me that probably her results could catch up the tail of the public school, if she really could do so then I can save a lots of money, if not then I have to prepare much more money for her 4 years spending.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
That is for a future job and money, when any students could get into the public school to study then their family will spend less money than the private school, and when the student graduated from the school, if he apply for a job, the reputation of public school will more easy to get the job than others, that's why many parents always hope their children could get into the public school, and also the salary will effecting their whole life, unless someone to create a success business in the future by their own.

Next year, my daughter will get into the university, she told me that probably her results could catch up the tail of the public school, if she really could do so then I can save a lots of money, if not then I have to prepare much more money for her 4 years spending.
This is the difference between our two cultures. If all you want your children to be is salarymen (-women), then all of what you say is true. The great idea in Western culture is that you don't have to fit into that mold. You can pursue your dreams and aspirations without much in the way of formal education. You need to be both talented and lucky; and you must learn to deal quickly and effectively with failure. This last trait is the one stumbling block for every Asian engineer I've ever known. It cripples them beyond belief.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012

kv

Edit: Pay attention to the segment of the video 2:34sec. If you decide not to watch all of the video.

Edit: I guess I didn't see "strantor's" post on the toy gears. But; the gears turning in the same direction concept is interesting. Each must posses a driving force together.
Most of the gears has pivot as rotor, but I'm not sure this three gears it start and where to start?
This three gears providing a new idea to think of, I saw a square gear can be works that it really shocked me.

Square gears - Aluminum Gears.

Square gears works.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The triple gear video is neat but if you look at it carefully each gear can be best explained as being sort of a twisted up planetary gearset where each individual gear is working as half of the inner gearset (inner planetary set) and half as the outer gear set (ring gear) which does not violate the tooth meshing directions or rates.

Think of it as sort of being three intertwined mobius strips with gear teeth.;)

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
This is the difference between our two cultures. If all you want your children to be is salarymen (-women), then all of what you say is true. The great idea in Western culture is that you don't have to fit into that mold. You can pursue your dreams and aspirations without much in the way of formal education. You need to be both talented and lucky; and you must learn to deal quickly and effectively with failure. This last trait is the one stumbling block for every Asian engineer I've ever known. It cripples them beyond belief.
Some bodies said that the Asian for money to work, and the Westerner for play to work, so for the money conception is really complete different, the Asian will keep their properties for their next generation, but many Westerner will contribute their properties for the public purpose.

For my daughter, I never care what she trying to do, all she want to do then I will agree with her, even she went to the high school before that she was tried to stop to learn and I said ok.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The triple gear video is neat but if you look at it carefully each gear can be best explained as being sort of a twisted up planetary gearset where each individual gear is working as half of the inner gearset (inner planetary set) and half as the outer gear set (ring gear) which does not violate the tooth meshing directions or rates.

Think of it as sort of being three intertwined mobius strips with gear teeth.;)
In that video, the three gears only play with fingers, but what I care is how it works in the real world, it looks like didn't show that.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Yes I meant to say thank you to killivolt for the interesting video.

Taking the gear set to 3D adds a degree of freedom so three such interlocking gears, which are really distorted worm gears, will work.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
And just who believes that this is what the people that came up with those posters had in mind?

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
So, as long as there's a complete disconnect between two of the three entities originally depicted, the "system" works. In my cynical view, it's the parents and teachers but it's still open for debate.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The whole thing actually makes sense if you visualize the kids as the common #1 gear and the parents and teachers as the coordinated - but not directly meshed - gears. Direct parent-teacher interaction is trivial compared to the interaction of the student with both those entities. Parents and teachers work "together" - thru the student - without constant meshing.

But there's no way the graphic designer was thinking about it that way.