A Newbie Goes Shopping...

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by darknys, Apr 24, 2008.

1. darknys

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    So I'm trying to build myself a small project as a hobby. Basically, it's a LED blinker using a PIC chip. (I'm using that because I want it to be very small.) Here's the thing: I have nothing. I ordered a PIC Programmer, which comes with the PIC chip I need, and the LEDs I need. I don't have a breadboard, resistors, caps, large LEDs to test with, diodes... you get the drift. I was shopping over at digi-key, and quickly getting into the $100 range because I didn't know where to start or what to order. Can anybody give me suggestions as to what to buy so I can get started building a basic 3v circuit using my happy new PIC chip?
  2. chesart1

Jan 23, 2006
  3. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
  4. Caveman

Apr 15, 2008
    The only problem with digikey is that they have a $25 min order ($5 fee if under it). You can get similar selection and prices from www.mouser.com, and they have no minimum order.
  5. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Might I add that that also includes International orders (by Mouser's definition, those outside the US). Obviously, the operate a flat shipping cost and you are liable for the cost of duty and taxes in your locale arising from the purchase.

6. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    Yeah, Brokerage for my first and last Mouser order was in the order of 50$ on a 150$ order, not including taxes! I stick with Digikey, who is a model company that has fair prices and impecable timing, plus included all duties and brokerage :)