A new parametric EQ?

AndrewCE

Joined Jun 27, 2009
Ok, I know bandpass filters or bandstop filters are normally made with a capacitor and inductor in series or parallel, but would it be possible to make one with 2 RC filters? One would be highpass, the other would be lowpass. This seems like an extremely elegant solution, so the fact that i don't see it often tells me there's probably some really fundamental error that i'm missing. what is it?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Here is a PDF on filter design with opamps.
In there is a comparisson of band filters with high/low pass combinations.
With opamps you will hardly use inductors.

Greetings,
Bertus

Attachments

AndrewCE

Joined Jun 27, 2009
Hello,

Here is a PDF on filter design with opamps.
In there is a comparisson of band filters with high/low pass combinations.
With opamps you will hardly use inductors.

Greetings,
Bertus

i've done active filters, i'm looking for a passive filter. and i would like to understand WHY this particular one is not used.

AndrewCE

Joined Jun 27, 2009
Design one and plot the response curves. I think it will be clear why it isn't done.
I would've done that already, however i do not have any simulation software, nor do i have any tangible frequency response measurement devices. Maybe you could point me in the right direction with regards to software (free, preferably)?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
This would be a good opportunity for you to learn how to analyze the circuit you propose without using simulation software. It is a valuable skill to learn if you have an interest in comparing different filter topologies.

There was a time when there was no simulation software. Once you have analyzed a filter yourself you will have a deeper appreciation for filters as well as simulation software.

hgmjr

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When connecting RC low and highpass filters together you will find out that the second filter acts as a frequency dependend load to the first one.
In other words they interact with eachother and give an other frequency curve as expected.
A great deal of this interaction can be solved by placing buffers between the filters.
This can be transistors or opamps.

Greetings,
Bertus