A new 555 IC

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by KMoffett, Dec 15, 2010.

1. KMoffett

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
  2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    I like the low voltage aspect of them.

Could be useful if the pricing isn't insane, the quotes are for production run quantities.
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Thanks for the links, interesting stuff.

While operating at 0.9VDC, it isn't that far from a 2VDC 7555, which can go down to 1.5V. They mention driving LEDs and motors, but they didn't mention the output drive current, the biggest bugaboo for older CMOS style 555s. I'll wait for more information before I judge it.

The beginning price for quantity for SX8122 was 36¢, which suggests it will be available at decent prices. However, the link is an advertiser poster, not a data sheet.

This looks a lot more traditional in design features.

Lower voltages are great, but the biggest problem IMO for 7555 is low drive current at low voltages.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    For a datasheet:

What a totally unsexy name for a 4 to 10 mA 555-like timer. Besides, how long will 1.2V cells be on the market? I thought if it wasn't "lithium powered" it didn't sell. That is, unless it also has a laser.

5. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Odd they didn't create it to have a range of 1-5V instead of 1-2V. That is pretty limiting.

Though for the price, there are a lot of kid toys that would be great to run dead with a single AA battery instead of putting in 2 or 4. Toss the low voltage one into the "too specific" bin.