A little vent - do some research!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
OMG! I was wrong again.
Good thing I don't have to give a penny back every time I give a wrong answer.:D

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
OMG! I was wrong again.
Good thing I don't have to give a penny back every time I give a wrong answer.:D
6,000 posts? You have too much time on your hands. If you had a penny for each post, you would have...a bunch of pennies. (I told you I couldn't do calculus.)

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
OMG! I was wrong again.
I couldn't help anyone Engineer anything. I couldn't engineer my way out of a paper sack.

Although, I'm pretty good at coming up with a concept, after that it takes a bunch of "Nerds" to help me figure out the details.

It's good I can follow instruction, somewhere along the line I learn something.

kv

Edit: I would be broke and homeless.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
I'm one of those guys that doesn't seem to get it, I guess. I'm math challenged and not ever trained in electronics, even though I do try to make things.

I ask questions not from a engineers perspective but as a hobbyists level. I don't need the physics behind how things work, just some rules of thumb. I'll never be at the level of most of the regulars, but do read most of the threads in the forum.

Is there a place for me in this world of AAC? I hope so. Am I on some peoples ignore list? Probably, but I hope not.

When I found AAC it was during a quest for knowledge in electronics. At 65+ years of age and after having two strokes, and no real electronics or physics back round is there a place here for some dummy like me? Again, I hope so. Before giving up on all of us dummies, please remember what it was like before you went to college and learned what you know. When you had no one to give you a hand or help.

Some times it just takes a little more, a different way of explaining, for it to click in a persons mind.

My rant over.
Like I said: Ignorance is different than stupidity. It's okay to be ignorant... we all are ignorant of something. My beef is with people that have the knowledge but are too dumb or lazy to apply it - that's stupidity.

I think you're great shortbus - it's okay to ask questions - just continue to do something with the answers.

A couple cases in point:

When I first started my career I forgot how a bjt and fet worked. I went and opened up my textbook, and re-taught myself, and I probably asked a few dumb questions myself... the difference is two fold: 1) I had refreshed my memory of how they worked and 2) I took the answers to those questions, and applied them to my work... I didn't just continue to ask for schematics or not dig in and learn why the bjt can drive the fet, and how long it will take for the FET to turn on, etc.

I have also just recently started working with high accuracy comparators (boy, is that hard work!), and I've asked some questions of co-workers... but only after hopefully doing enough research to talk intelligently on the subject.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I don't think we should follow a teaching procedure for anything other than Homework Questions.
I agree Geo, however, some circumvent this by "creative" writing in the other sections. Recognizing them as homework questions and reporting them is important.

I also know that if you ever come across a topic you learnt eons ago, you would do your own refresher training before logging onto an internet site with an "urgent" question. I never expect instant recall, except in some narrow instances, safety issues would be one such instance. Germane safety issues with respect to the topic at hand.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There are those who want to learn, and those who want to get by. Most of the regulars here fall into the former, I ignore the latter.