A little idea for photo resist circuit boards

Ctenom

Joined Nov 1, 2010
With LCD contrast ratios getting better (and also the LED displays). I was wondering if anyone with a spare 5 mins and a off cut of a photo-resistive circuit board, would like to try using a laptop display (or similar) to develop the board with a black and white image, Instead of printing a overlay. Probably wont work maybe too much bleed and the light from the black might develop the board. But it would be interesting to find out don't you think?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I don't see why it wouldn't work. LCD displays already use a back light, you just need to change the back light into a UV source. I could see the LED UV exposure lights in the Completed Projects forum being used with an LCD display. It could make for a nifty prototyping setup, but there will be technical issues, there always are with new idea. Bet it is nothing insurmountable though.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Clever idea -- if you can get UV lamps in and the LCD isn't completely opaque to the UV (I bet it will be because so many organic materials either absorb UV or fluoresce), realize that the optically clear plastic over the screen are almost always excellent absorbers of UV radiation, so you either need to get rid of it or replace it with something transparent at UV wavelengths.