A little help with a audio connector

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by War bird, Jun 15, 2009.

1. War bird

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I have no clue what to call it, but I saved a plug from a trash circuit that allows you to plug a set of headphones into it ( a little help on the name would be awesome)

(please forgive me for any errors I'm a youngster)

As for how to connect it is a mystery. I have tested it every which way and I still cant seem to hook it up right. From what I have gathered so far is that two wires (carrying the signal) seem to hook up to one pin and the power/RL channels seem to connect to separate ones

temp.JPG (possibly mislabeled)

but then there are two pins that seem to do nothing.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Could that possibly be a 3.5mm audio connector? There are also 2.5mm or 1/4" in addition to the 3.5mm. For headphones, it would have to be a stereo connector.

3. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Would it be possible to photograph the connector in question and attach the picture here?

hgmjr

4. War bird

Jun 15, 2009
    Alright, I have added 3 pictures of it. (sorry for the size of the pictures, but I uploaded directly off my camera.)

5. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    That is normally called a jack, not a plug, and one pin is common ground, two are L, R and two are normally closed cancelling contacts; used as to disconnect speakers when an earphone is plugged in.
    Probably taken from a stereo or PC audio card.

6. War bird

Jun 15, 2009
    Well thanks, but that doesn't seem to answer what the other unkown pins are.

7. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    Sorry, poor typing. :(

One common, one L, one R, and two normally closed contacts to L, R, make five pins.

8. War bird

Jun 15, 2009
    Thanks!

Now, can any one give me a basic audio circuit that is by-passable by a pair of headphones? (I have a hard time doing this)