A little H-Bridge help.

jgreene44

Joined Dec 8, 2016
Hello all,

Thanks for being here in advance.

I have put together many H-bridges. Very familiar with the Schematic. Putting one together so far has not been hard at all.
Getting one to work proper is. The one in my hand has 4 2n3904's running it. they are all npn and i see some schematics are
calling for the negative end of the bridge to be pnp. I have tried both was and this seems to be working. However it is very underpowered.
i have:
The Arduino plugged in via usb ---> laptop
The hc-05 plugged into 5v, Rx ---> Tx, Tx ---> Rx
The positive side of bridge feed from 12v seperate supply
All three commonly grounded

Test results.
Arduino output: apprx. 4.5v
Hc-05 input: apprx. 5.1v
Hot rail breadboard: 9.6v

Top left 2n3904. (positive input is north):
C: 9.6
B: 4.5
E: 3.8

Top right:
C: 9.6
B: 0.0
E: .007

Bottom left:
C: 3.8
B: 0.0
E: 0.00

Bottom right:
C: .004
B: 4.5
E: .001

Test point @ DC motor:
-: .005
+: 3.79

325ohm resistors are at each base. germainium dioide from collector to emitter, negative pointing to collector.

All readings where with the H-bridge active and under load. I have no clue... i have a feeling this is somehow related to the fact that the bottom two transistors are not pnp. the only pnp transistors i have laying around are c8550's and im thinking they might not be suitable since they have that 2w audio spec? i have tried using them. acts like a dead short. i have 4 and they all seem ok outside of the bridge. im also thinking it might be the forward voltage/current from the arduino?

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Got the circuit OK.
What are the A and B driving voltages and phase relationship.?
Also the supply voltage.?
E

EDIT:
Looking at your first post voltages for Drive and Supply. you should get this result

Attachments

Last edited:

jgreene44

Joined Dec 8, 2016
BobTPH: ok wow! i looked at a bunch of h-bridge diagrams when i first started learning of these. somewhere along the line i got it in my head the pnp's where on the bottom. so that is where i applied my s8550's. did not work. (of course) hrm thats really great you pointed that out for me. seems like a simple fix. testing now!

the word level translator is pretty new to me. my arduino is supposed to use one for the 3.3-5v on the tx or rx i forget (i dont use it like im supposed to. seems fine). either way. thats about the extent of my use and knowledge. would really like it if you could explain to me a little better. i did do a quick google on it but, im not sure at all how to apply this to my current circuit.

is the level translator for 12v ---> 5v

ok i added the two pnp's to the top side in a breadboard. dead short. put the two npn's back in. works fine again? i have 4 8550's from salvage they might not be reliable... when mixed them all they all acted the same...

...more investigation. seems if i focus on one side of motor feed. i get instant on. no 5v to base. just running. checked pinout again. is fine. i know why it acts like dead short now at least. not clue why these pnp's are acting the way they are. they had been tested by simply turning an led on and off before i stored them.

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi 44,
What was the point in you posting a circuit web link that does not represent the actual circuit you are using.???

E

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
im not sure i follow all i think is the same minus the fact i used 2n3904's?
Hi,
As Bob points out if you use 4, NPN transistors, powered from a 12v rail, the top two will not be fully turned ON with a Base voltage of 5v.

A level shifter is required, usually an additional transistor level shifter for the top pair.

You could use PNP for the top pair, but a level shifter is still required, but it is a simpler shifter.

E

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
is the level shift at points A and B? if so i have that. power supply running at 9.6v.
hi,
The A and B are the bridge drive from the Arduino output pins.
In the program, ensure that A and B are NEVER at 5v at the same time.!

The Vsupply of 9.6v is OK.
You have not said what is the spec of the motor, Volts , Amps .???

E

Attachments

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I'm not sure how much current the motor needs, so all the calculation is according to your original value as Iin = 25.3mA, Iout = 253mA.
HbridgeMotorDriverWithTwoVin_ScottWang.gif