A guide to transistors

iPromise

Joined Aug 11, 2013
because the function of a digital circuit narrows down to transistors, i'm really interested in learning about how they work in depth and eventually creating my own transistors so that I could create my own logic gates so that I could assemble my own digital circuit.

I haven't found any good links which describes how they work in depth after 30 mins of research on google, I was curious if an expert can guide me to a site or link on the forum which elaborates on transistors and possibly a link on creating a homemade transistor.

thanks for all your help.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
First, start with several handfuls of clean sand.

Seriously, if you want to make your own transistors, then what constitutes making them yourself? Don't you want to make your own wafers, too?

I'm aware of one person that has successfully made functioning transistors at home, though I imagine that there are others. She has many years of semiconductor processing experience and knows what she is about. As of the last time I talked to her (about three years ago), her transistors sucked pretty bad -- but that wasn't the point. The point is that they worked at all!

For you to do it, I would first recommend spending a few million dollars on a fab set up.

An alternative is to check with your local universities and see if any of them have on-campus fabs. Manufacturers often donate obsolete equipment to schools for the tax writeoff and the schools are more interested in giving students hands-on experience trying to make something that hopefully more-or-less works than trying to maintain a fab that can consistently produce working parts. If so, then take a course is semiconductor processing and the corresponding lab course.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You do realize that transistor is a generic term? There are bipolar junction transistors, field effect transistors, metal oxide semiconductor transistors, unijunction transistors, just to name a few.

There are also almost as many fabrication techniques as there are transistors. If you are serious about this look into organic dye transistors, but don't expect much.

It is also therotically possible to find a natural transistor in a raw gallium crystal, similar to how they make diodes for cats hair recievers.

Personally I suspect you would be much better off doing your homework and reading up on all the various types. This could keep you busy for years. It is why they teach electronics in college.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
We made our own transistors in a university course.
This is not something you can do at home.
Skip this part and move on to working with off-the-shelf transistors on a breadboard.