A great electronics challenge!!!

Manikant Singh

Joined Oct 21, 2015
I am currently working on a project which requires controlling two sensors (photodiodes) placed at 1 meter apart from a IR remote. The distance between the remote and sensors will be nearly 6-7 meters.
The problem I am facing is that I am unable to make the beam of my IR remote such narrow focused that it can be sensed by only one sensor at a time i.e whenever I am trying to trigger one sensor other is also getting triggered due to close spacing.
So please specify me any solutions to make my remote narrow focused as I cannot increase the spacing between sensors. Also use of RF or laser diodes are not allowed.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Optics.

Electronically, you could use a system that modulates the IR signals at two different frequencies, and set each receiver to discriminate only the appropriate frequency.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
This is usually done by modulating the signals sent over the IR beam. One set of data is an ID which tells the devices which one it's talking to. Then that device starts listening and responds to the next set of data.

Trying to narrow your beam is really not the best option.

Matt

EDIT: Wayneh, you beat me to it! Slightly different method though.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006

Manikant Singh

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Yeah, it is possible that way. But that was just an example in actual I have an series of sensors, so modulation will became a tough task. I am looking for any IR led with very narrow beam angle or any arrangement that will exactly focus the beam without much scattering.

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
Use laser instead of IR.

Use optics to focus IR.

Use a length of pipe to "focus" the receivers.

Use two separate and focused transmitters co-located.

Modulate the signals at different frequencies.

... let me see if I can think of anything else...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think optics are not such a bad option at this distance. The main problems are that 1) it's hard to focus a beam you can't see and 2) it's easier to use a single LED, but that can limit the range. A TV remote often uses multiple IR LEDs. But I have some with just one and they work fine across the room.

Some of my visible light LEDs are already focused into a tight circle of maybe 5 feet in diameter across a distance of 30 feet. There is some stray light outside the beam, but it's pretty darn good for a cheap piece of plastic.

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
You can easily focus an IR LED by measuring at the receiver.

I would ask for a more descriptive title thread because I get notifications from threads and I have no idea what they are about until I open them again.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
How about polarized filter pairs? One emitter and detector with polarizing film in a horizontal direction. And the other emitter and detector with their polarizing film rotated 90°.

Ken

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Don't even play with a IR laser you'll put you eye out. I would try something a little simpler.
kind of like a gun you place the ir in a tube that can't let the light out from the side just straight down the barrow and make it close to the size as the led as you can get it.

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
And paint the inside of the tube flat black to stop reflections.
In the early days of video games there was a shooting game made that way. It could detect which part of the TV screen you were pointed at using a photo transistor in the gun barrel.

Last edited:

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
How about polarized filter pairs? One emitter and detector with polarizing film in a horizontal direction. And the other emitter and detector with their polarizing film rotated 90°.

Ken
I like this idea. I only have 2 worries. First, what happens if the user holds the transmitter at an angle? Second, the polarizing film may not pass IR as well as visible light.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
The IR transmittance of polarizing film would have to be investigated. So, the transmitters are not in fixed positions? Maybe you could go into more detail of how these emitters and detectors are to be used.

Ken

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I am currently working on a project which requires controlling two sensors (photodiodes) placed at 1 meter apart from a IR remote. The distance between the remote and sensors will be nearly 6-7 meters.
The problem I am facing is that I am unable to make the beam of my IR remote such narrow focused that it can be sensed by only one sensor at a time i.e whenever I am trying to trigger one sensor other is also getting triggered due to close spacing.
So please specify me any solutions to make my remote narrow focused as I cannot increase the spacing between sensors. Also use of RF or laser diodes are not allowed.
Modulate an IR laser diode - it has a narrow beam of coherent light.