A few simple questions.

dustiin

Joined Jan 13, 2010
I see I see and blinkers and tail lights aren't gonna draw more then 7amps. Sounds like a plan then. Need to now find a battery and a charging circuit, no luck yet. Thanks for being here and helping me through all this. I couldn't think everyone enough.

I really like this forum.

dustiin

Joined Jan 13, 2010
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350256044243&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Since I'll have a rectifier giving rectified DC current to my charging circuit which then gives it to my battery and the battery outputs 5amps. Will it be possible for the battery to output more (at one time) since the battery is getting power from the source?

Like maybe 5 amps more or something higher since it'll be getting about 10amps to it from the rectified DC-charging circuit-battery.

Also sorry if I'm dragging these "simple questions" on. I've been rewriting what I thought I knew and have been wanting to know more.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The battery has printed on it: Charging Current= 1.5A max.
It is rated for 5 amp-hours, not 5 amps. Its max discharge current might be 20 amps for a couple of minutes.

5 amp-hours means it can supply 0.5A for 10 hours. 1A for maybe 4 hours and 5A for maybe half an hour.

dustiin

Joined Jan 13, 2010
Ah-ha. I get that now, but electricity cannot pass directly from the source past the rectifier, charging circuit, and battery and straight into another device. Right'o?

I get everything now that I actually put the pieces together.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Some of the alternator current will go into the devices that are drawing current and if there is any left over current then it will charge the battery. If the load draws as much current as the alternator can supply and needs more current then the extra current will come from the battery (then the battery will be discharging instead of charging.

dustiin

Joined Jan 13, 2010
I get it. I have been unable to find a charger circuit for my 12volt 5AH battery. Just diagrams on how to make it. I'm not that skilled to be sodering a circuit with parts I don't even know. Is there some website you might know of where I can get such a thing?

dustiin

Joined Jan 13, 2010
I measured it along time ago and it said I believe 13.3v.

Seems like I'll have to split the ends of the prongs.
universal input voltage 100-240 AC

Since my bike's AC current isn't in the range...will this even work?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You better get those soldering skills sharpened.

Start with adding the battery on the bike. Charge the battery at home. You may see that the battery lasts weeks before it needs charging. That way, you can just charge the battery with the charger I pointed to. After you get some skills up, build a circuit to charge it from your bike.

dustiin

Joined Jan 13, 2010
Dang. I've searched all over, can't find any battery charger that will charge my battery from my bike. I feel like a failure.

dustiin

Joined Jan 13, 2010
I've been reading and researching and asking around and found out that if my bike has a 12v regulator on it I don't have to worry about any circuit charger. My bike has an AC regulator on it but I will need to buy a regulator, recitifer DC kit and then I can easily hook the bike up to that and all will be good.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I did say check your specs mate.

I have been trying to find some LEDs with a suitable PIV rating for your AC but I'm sorry to report I haven't found any.

However there is no problem simply placing a suitably rated rectifier diode in series with the LED lamps. By suitably rated I mean one that can handle the current. This will simply block the reverse half cycles and protect the LEDs. On the forward half cycles it will pass current and if a low drop type is chosen will not lose to much voltage.