A Digital Thermometer project

SiN

Joined Dec 18, 2007
Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a project to build a digital thermometer but i don't have a clue on how.

What I need is to design a digital thermometer that can measure the current ambient temperature in a building, which will show the maximum and minimum temperatures detected.

The thermometer must be battery powered with the readings being refreshed in every two seconds. The maximum and minimum temperatures should be automatically re-set at midnight.

Please could you help?
Thank you :)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You can also use an LM334 as a temperature sensor. There are several application hints in Texas Instrument's datasheet.

Your project would be simplified considerably if you used a microcontroller such as a PIC, a Basic Stamp, or the like that had a built-in ADC (Analog to Digital Converter). Otherwise, you would need to build an ADC circuit, design a logic circuit to get the current reading, compare the reading to the highest and lowest so far observed, keep track of time, etc etc. Rather involved.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
As another approach, you could use a DS18B20 together with an AVR ATTINY2313 to handle the 1-wire interface to the temperature sensor and a couple or three 7-segment LED displays to displays play the temperature.

Of course, if you are not interested in getting involved in learning to write your own programs you are probably better off following beenthere's approach.

hgmjr