A date which will live in Infamy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
@ strantor

I don't think it's the same. You go to the barber's because you can't possibly cut your own hair and your wife isn't skilled enough to cut it properly, not because you 're lazy.
Actually, I do cut my own hair, and not just a simple buzz cut. But that's beside the point.
If you 're paying someone to cut your lawn because you work 12/7 or because your arthritis doesn't let you get off your chair, then I find that a pretty good excuse.

On the other hand, paying someone to oversee you while you work out, during a time where you, actively, are supposed to do the effort, doesn't sound very logical.

Let it be noted that I find usefulness in the gym trainer position, who you might need to guide you through an exercise correctly.
How about a different example; College. If one were only interested in learning, they could just as easily buy a bunch of books and read them. But going to class and being taught by an instructor is more beneficial. Having periodic tests, and being held accountable for your progress by an authority makes one strive harder than they might otherwise. Now I know that college isn't a perfect example, because have the reason for being there is to get the paper at the end, which you can't get through self study, but I hope the idea I'm trying to convey has been made clearer.

Still, I think the best example is rehab. Do you agree that being obese, depressed, and unmotivated is akin to being addicted to drugs, in that it can be seemingly impossible to pick yourself up by your bootstraps?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
<sigh> Please, no politics, especially revolutions.
Comes up every now and then..!:(

What to do. Every where you look you will hear some one saying something about whacking off a guy or taking over an Airport.

I dunno what is right and what is wrong now. :eek:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
How about a different example; College. If one were only interested in learning, they could just as easily buy a bunch of books and read them. But going to class and being taught by an instructor is more beneficial. Having periodic tests, and being held accountable for your progress by an authority makes one strive harder than they might otherwise. Now I know that college isn't a perfect example, because have the reason for being there is to get the paper at the end, which you can't get through self study, but I hope the idea I'm trying to convey has been made clearer.

Still, I think the best example is rehab. Do you agree that being obese, depressed, and unmotivated is akin to being addicted to drugs, in that it can be seemingly impossible to pick yourself up by your bootstraps?
Yeah, half the purpose of going to college or university is to get yourself certified with an official paper that you can't get any other way, without wanting to disregard any professor.

Yes, I believe that most obese and unmotivated people are the products of their own choices and even if you pull them out of their condition they will roll back if they don't change their mindset.
I do recognize that there are clinical situations, though.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Context R!f@@ ... the position of the word "off" changed the whole meaning of what you were conveying.

Whacking a guy off is definately not the same as whacking off a guy.

:)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK guys, Riffa's American English education has been improved, but lets move along to other examples please.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Drop it, Rifaa. We are going into mature content here. English is a bit of an anarchic language, you can't just be taught on it. You need to get some experience using it, and that only comes with time.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
@Rifaa

Probably. It's hard to explain it in writing, anyway. What you need to keep out of all this is that we appreciate it more if you write in full words.

On the other hand, loosewire makes a living out of not writing formally, so, I guess it's your choice.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
<sigh> Please, no politics, especially revolutions.
So the American Revolutionary War is now taboo? Along with WWII accounts, and WWII bomb maps? You honestly can't be serious that something taught in 1st grade is taboo on this sight. And history is far from politics. Remember those who don't study their history are doomed to repeat it.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Please don't try to create an issue here. Bill wasn't referring to relatively well-documented historical events. The current events in Maldives aren't either history yet nor can be discussed on solid basis.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Current events, past events, both are history. 1 second ago is history. In my opinion, it becomes politics when the discussion turns from facts to opinions about those facts. Admittedly, my own post was the political one, and I doubt that Bill was referring to the historical posts. I apologize for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.