A couple of questions about EL Wire/LEDs

khaozboy

Joined Nov 9, 2012
Hi, I've been searching for LED and sound activated lighting and I came across the EL Wire technology and found out that it could be also sound activated.
Since I am a zero at electronics, I want to know if is possible to:

1 - Have like 3 colors of wire and each one is activated by a range of sound frequency, lets say:
a --- Red for kicks/basslines;
b --- Yellow for claps/snares;
c --- Green for Hihats
(the colors and quantity are just examples)
So basically it would work kind of like an equalizer;

2 - Have one color for each instrument in a band; instead of having a set of colored wires reacting to the global sound of the band, each instrument would have a color activated wire that would respond to the intensity. (i guess I had to bypass each mic before it goes into the mixer so each one is activated individually and still can mix the sounds on the mixer);

3 - Having a set of wires respond to one single instrument and each color would correspond to a range of notes
(from my knowledge of music, each color would represent a range of sound frequency);

4 - Have a wire blinking in sync with a " dubstep wobble bass" (i have this doubt just because it isn't the volume, its a frequency/LFO effect).

I hope I didn't made it hard to understand.
Therefore, like i said previously, I want to know if each topic is possible and the necessary gear and also if i can combine some (like 2 with 3 and 1 with 4).
I would also prefer Main powered instead of AA batteries if possible and wanted to know how much can USB handle.
In case some topic isn't possible with EL Wire, would it work with LEDs?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
EL wire and LEDs are not very bright on stage. You might need to play in the dark to see them.
It would be difficult to filter out the very loud WHACK of the stick on the drums or cymbals (hi-hats?).