A CNC Repair

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hey Guys.
Been a while I posted something interesting.
Been busy more than a bit.

I like to share a new experience I had with a CNC Engraver.

This one was brand new. Owner bought from China and shipped via DHL and cost a lot. Well more than I can buy one.
Problem was he can never get this to run. No matter what. All it does is spindle motor run. Obviously it was controlled manually. So motor Runs. Other than it was useless. He came to me when he ran out of options.

So I checked. The software does not run, meaning no change in axis control. Owner tried with Win7 and XP and all tht.

I found two problems after banging my head for two days. A DC to DC controller on the PCB was dead plus the Y axis IC. Good thing I bought those to build my CNC.

The DC to DC controller was one thing I cannot get here, so I compromised. I added an extra winding to the Tx ( good thing it was a toroid ). Made a 7805 regulator and replaced the IC.
Re installed win7 and Mach 3 and studied the LPT pin out on PCB. Had to change the Reset pin. And bingo it started to work.

Managed to to do a sample from the installation CD

But I had to admit building a CNC is one thing. And to Engrave is another whole ball game.
Still learning how to Engrave and do proper tool path. This is tough.

Managed to destroy a sample tool bit... forgot to start the spindle.

And still learning the Drawing Software.....Man this is not the same as repairing a CNC !!!!

PS. I always thought drawing and sending to CNC was the easiest part As like draw in corel and sent to printer. I was dumber than I thought. Eh!

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Replacing means getting the board from China and it takes a month or so. Besides owner was chatting with the seller for days with no luck.

By the way this was the very first time I get to lay my hands on an Engraver you know, so I cannot let it go without studying the thing.
It was well worth it.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What front end software is it Mach or ?
If you have both CAD and CAM program or a combined one it is usually not that bad, depends on what you are using.
Max.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I was fiddling with Vectric (now)
Before Lazycam (crazy software), then Corel to DXF to Lazycam and to Mach3.(too long)

Vectric is awesome

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
For my homemade CNC machine..
I use Autodesk Inventor to design the parts (3d modeling) and the free HSM express CAM add-in for it to generate the g-code
Makes it SOOOO easy.