A change to the Terms of Service here?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
This all is silly when you look at the site questionnaire that Bertus linked to last week. One of the interests you could chose was, "automotive/transportation" !

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
This all is silly when you look at the site questionnaire that Bertus linked to last week. One of the interests you could chose was, "automotive/transportation" !
Typically those questionnaire's identify your interest for the purpose of you receiving "targeted" emails, not the direction of the forums. It certainly could be used in that fashion, but, that would be a first.

If jrap's intention to use it in that fashion, I would hope it would have been clearly identified as such so those who didn't want to receive targeted emails, they could have filled one out.

All it takes is a little bit of honest communications from the owners to prevent our wild ass speculations. Scuttlebutt is never good as it has only elements of the truth when taken in toto.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Oh I agree, it just seem sill that when the TOS says no that it would even be an option. Someone joining up and seeing that option will get a big let down when asking a 'transportation' question after joining.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I usually put down stalking, random sniper shootings and seek out and torture of forum admins for my likes and hobbies.

I never seem to get any target emails though. They would greatly help me in the pursuit of my interests and hobbies. :(

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've been out for a while. What did I miss? What changed? It sounds like we are complaining some new undocumented change in the TOS with regards to shutting down any thread which makes mention of any component that sounds like it may have on at least one occasion been in contact with a wheeled craft. But that can't be right, because that doesn't sound like a new phenomenon at all.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The definition of "automotive" has expanded to include boats, off-road vehicles such as tractors, go-karts, and who knows what else, and the term is under review. It may get replaced by a new word to reflect a wider topic ban.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I thought it was at least conceivable that the ban wold be eliminated altogether in order to attract a wider audience of of eyeballs for those all important marketing mouseclicks.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
anything's possible Papa, the jury is still out because I haven't seen any newly promulgated rules.

I would hope that @jrap would start putting in a statement at the end of the TOS and User Agreement, something to the effect .... page modified on xx/xx/xxxx or however he wishes to identify the date of the change.

Last edited:

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I don't think the mods behavior changed. I think there are new mods, and they want to have the rules enforced again. They want AAC to be what it used to be: a place to discuss things of a techno nature in a pleasant and friendly environment. I think the older mods gave up on trying to make adults be adults. And now some older members are taking airing their differences in public.

I've been out for a while. What did I miss? What changed? It sounds like we are complaining some new undocumented change in the TOS with regards to shutting down any thread which makes mention of any component that sounds like it may have on at least one occasion been in contact with a wheeled craft. But that can't be right, because that doesn't sound like a new phenomenon at all.
Perhaps this would cover it?

A proposed 'entrance' sign:

Wheels, Wings, Sails, Pan-BPR Turbofans, Reaction burners, illuminated quadrupeds and impellers of all kinds prohibited beyond this point...

Or, more succinctly: If the subject goes - the thread's gone!;)

TTFN
HP

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Also the "Privacy Policy" link is still a dead one.

And the "Resistor Select" in the Arduino project is still there. It should be RS = "Register Select"

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Well if the jury is out on what to do about the automotive ban, and some suspect there is a possibility of it being abolished, i propose it be abolished.

I've always thought that rule was ridiculous. I've respected it but thought it was ridiculous nonetheless. I've dropped a few passive aggressive hints through the years about my feels, but now I'll take this opportunity to come right out and say it.

The commonly quoted "reason" for the ban is the forum owner's liability. What a crock! In the TOS, it would be just as easy to, instead of inserting a ban, insert a release of liability! It would make the moderator job much easier and make forum members much happier.

The second most oft quoted "reason" is to keep people "safe" - i guess the same reason as above, but replace the overly cautious self-protection motive with a benevolent god complex. People, in general, are stupid. They will find a way to self destruct, with or without this forum's help. It's always been my opinion that HELPING someone who is on an obvious self destruction course toward a safer trajectory, can't possibly be more destructive than sitting back and watching them crash & burn, and sitting back saying "well i can honestly say i had nothing to do with that. "

Plus, if you're going to ban anything that has the capacity to harm or kill, then just shut this forum down right now. There's no such thing as "safe." Its much better to discuss the dangers and understand them than to make it taboo and people "figure it out" with no guidance.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The details are still being worked out, but we are no longer enforcing the ban. I jumped the gun on the announcement, which was my bad.

Safety issues will still come under review, so we will always have a supply of unhappy customers. It comes with the job.

Eric Binkerd

Joined Jun 18, 2015
I would come and go from this site from time to time over the years and would catch posts that were ambiguous about the nature of the project, but clearly were automotive related. Hiding in the open like this is just plain sad. I am glad to see this site has allowed automotive posts. And as such, I hope to contribute what I can as a EE student with a lot of automotive electrical experience. If one of the forums I frequented had banned automotive electrical discussion, we would have never had a home brewed tunable daughterboard, then the realtime daughterboard, and now the realtime daughterboard that rivals AEM's capabilities. And had that happened, that forum would be dead and the following for those cars so much smaller.

Eric Binkerd

Joined Jun 18, 2015
Can you post a link to this? Would love to read more about this!
http://www.sr20-forum.com/calumsult/, http://www.sr20forum.com/calumsult-archived-informational-purposes/

This is what started it all. The most current daughterboard available is called the NismotronicSA/NEMU. Calumsult is no longer in business, but he started it all. A lot of information has been lost over the years, but JKtuning and Moates picked up where he left off and have been providing us with some great products.