a 48V voltage charge with switching mode

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by podgymax, Nov 4, 2008.

1. podgymax

Thread Starter Member

Oct 19, 2008
    I am working on a project in which I need to build a 48V voltage charge with switching mode.

I plan on micro-controller using a 8051. I don't know where to start, what would be required, and how to build it.

I can read diagrams and build circuits, but as far as designing them and knowing what I need to use I don't have much knowledge. I am just wondering where I can aquire this knowledge, or if anyone here can help me build this circuit.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!

thank you everyone!

2. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    You need to clarify please.

48V Charge?

Please give us the basic inputs to your circuit and some basic specifications.

example: 12V IN @ 4A and want 48V @ 1A, etc.

Steve

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    What type of batteries?
    What is their AH rating?

4. podgymax

Thread Starter Member

Oct 19, 2008
    The type of batteries is AC 220V => 48V DC

5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    From a PM:
    What you have described is your available AC voltage, (I'll assume 50Hz at the moment) and the voltage rating of what I am currently assuming is a bank of batteries wired together.

How many individual batteries make up your battery bank?

What is the battery type? Lead-acid, sealed lead-acid, AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat), gel cel, NiCd, NiMH, other?

If lead-acid, sealed lead-acid, or AGM, are they automotive, marine, or deep-cycle batteries?

What is the amp-hour or mAH rating of each battery?

Are the ampere-hour or mAh ratings all the same?

All of these questions make a big difference on how a charger should be designed.

6. podgymax

Thread Starter Member

Oct 19, 2008
    I don't know what element I should use. The type of charge that I want is similar to a charge which is used for charge a vehicle, and I don't have any other special requirements. Actually, I don't know how to make a charge. So I hope u can help me. Thanks a lot.

7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Why don't you start at the beginning then, and learn about how batteries work?

Here is a very good website where you can learn about different battery technologies, and methods used to charge them.
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

But from where you stand at the moment, your requirements are far too broad to even begin.

8. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Just to attempt to clarify, the OP means to say battery charger.

9. podgymax

Thread Starter Member

Oct 19, 2008
    yes, I've designed a circuit now. However, I don't have an idea on how to ch a "220V to 24-0-24 transform" to a "48V transform". Could anyone help me? :confused:
    [​IMG]

10. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    Use one of the "24V" leads as your common. Use the other as your "48V." Put an insulator over the "0V" lead and coil it up neatly out of the way.

11. podgymax

Thread Starter Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Sorry, I couldn't get your meaning. Could you mind drawing it(ch 24-0-24 to 48-0) for me? thx

12. samir mahdy

Jan 9, 2009
    Dear
    You have three wires say 24 is orange and 0 is black and the other 24 is also orange. to get 48 volts you are not going to use the black terminal at all which means you will cover it with insulation tape. now you got two terminals which is both are orange and each called (24).You will consider either of them is your New 0 (ZERO) while the other one will be your 48 (48 terminal).
    To get it straight pls use the AVO on AC range and measure the output and this will help a lot beside.
    Best Regards

13. podgymax

Thread Starter Member

Oct 19, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Is this switch mode battery charger workable?

14. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
  15. podgymax

Thread Starter Member

Oct 19, 2008
    how could I make the circuit become switch mode? I've already add the buck converter in my circuit. What should I add on my circuit? kindly anybody could help me?

16. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Did you read through the tutorials that I provided links for?

17. podgymax

Thread Starter Member

Oct 19, 2008
    I'm trying my best to read through that website. However, it's quite difficult for me to read through the whole website as my english is not very good (I'm chinese). I hope you can forgive me.