9V to 5V voltage regulator..

naspek

Joined Feb 17, 2010
hey guys...
i'm trying to build 9V to 5V voltage regulator...
the problem is..
when i'm using ceramic capacitor, the voltage drop across the capacitor
was too high,,
can someone tell me what type of capacitor should be used?
if possible please provide picture..

thank u in advance.. =)

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Can you provide a schematic of your regulator.

Capacitors appear open circuit to DC so the voltage drop across it will be what ever you apply.

Is this an input or output capacitor?

More info please

naspek

Joined Feb 17, 2010
Can you provide a schematic of your regulator.

Capacitors appear open circuit to DC so the voltage drop across it will be what ever you apply.

Is this an input or output capacitor?

More info please

that is my circuit...
the problem now..
what type of capacitor should i use?
ceramic? electrolytic?:confused:

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Both.

The 10μF caps should be electrolytic and the .1μF should be ceramic or greencaps or similar. MAKE SURE you get the polarity of the electrolytics right and I would make the ones on the input side 25V and the ones on the output side 16V.

What is the source of the 9V? Is it a battery or from another DC power supply or straight from a bridge rectifier output? This will also make a difference on the amount of capacitance you need.

naspek

Joined Feb 17, 2010
Both.

The 10μF caps should be electrolytic and the .1μF should be ceramic or greencaps or similar. MAKE SURE you get the polarity of the electrolytics right and I would make the ones on the input side 25V and the ones on the output side 16V.

What is the source of the 9V? Is it a battery or from another DC power supply or straight from a bridge rectifier output? This will also make a difference on the amount of capacitance you need.
ic.. 9V source is from battery...
i've got electrolytic capacitor, 10uF,25V..
is it ok?

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Yes. 10μF 25V will be fine. You can use these at both input and output sides. Due to the poor tolerance of electrolytic caps it is always a good rule of thumb to use one with a voltage rating of twice what you are using.

Also as retched said you will have a voltage drop across the diode. This will be about .7V so i don't think it will be a prblem until the battery voltage drops to about 7V.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
That is actually what I was thinking.

9v batteries are notoriously low current sources.

If this battery is a older, it may be toast. Your 7805 is NOT a LDO, so you need good overhead.. at least 2v.

So once the battery falls to 7.7v, your about done.

If you have a battery tester, check the battery.

Or measure it with your multi-meter.

If it doesn't read at least 9.8v with no load, it may not be fresh enough to handle this job.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Good points.

I would also look at getting a schotky diode as well. 0.2V drop so you get an extra 0.5V to play with.

Also, if you are 100% positive you won't reverse the polarity of the battery do away with the diode. NOTE: 100% positive

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
With your multi-meter, measure the voltage with the RED probe on the RED dot and the BLACK probe on the BLUE dot. ALSO, make sure the battery polarity is correct, and the electrolytic capacitors polarity is correct.

Attachments