9v to 12v with trigger.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by innerchild, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innerchild

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm a current student with electrical engineering and need some help. For a project i'm switching the led light on my bike. Here is the scenario. It is a 2 wire system. ground and positive to led brake light. When running 9.55v comes out of the positive and activates "running" mode. when brakes applied 9.75v is outputted to the light causing it to intensify to "brake". The new light I have is 3 wire 12v system. 1)ground 2) running 3) brake. how to a convert and trigger the old system to the new? any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
  2. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    More info needed. In the old system, the detection of the brake signal is handled at the power supply so that only two wires are needed at the light. That makes some sense since that's all the light needs.

Your new system function is less clear to me. Is the "brake" wire for detecting the brakes or is it for powering a different light?

How is braking detected? I've never used one of these.
  3. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Your topic has run afoul of the Terms of Service Paragraph 6, which states:

Your bike lights are safety equipment, the failure of which to operate as originally designed could result in you becoming injured or killed. As you will begin to realize as you gain further experience, automotive modifications of this type should not be attempted by novices; as you may not live long enough to gain the experience required to design/implement something properly.

This thread will be closed when a Moderator sees it.
  4. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.