9v Dc Socket wiring - PLEASE HELP ME! lol

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by tarquinkrikery, May 9, 2009.

  1. tarquinkrikery

    Thread Starter New Member

    Apr 15, 2009
    8
    0
    Hi jus a quick question from an idiot - I'm really new to the whole electronics thing!

    I've managed to make a circuit with LED's that works with a 9v battery. However I want to use a 9v DC power supply (that I use to power my guitar pedals - so negative tip) to power the circuit. I have a 9v 2.1mm socket (same size as the power supply jack), but don't know how to wire it into the circuit.

    Am I right in assuming that as it's - tip, + sleeve, I wire the the sleeve of socket to the + side of my circuit and vica versa?

    Only prob is the socket has a 3rd "prong" I'm not sure what to do with!

    PLease help, I'm so close to finished my project! lol
     
  2. eblc1388

    Senior Member

    Nov 28, 2008
    1,542
    102
    The third prong on the power jack socket is used to disconnect one end of the 9V battery when the external supply is connected and supplying the circuit.

    [​IMG]
     
  3. tarquinkrikery

    Thread Starter New Member

    Apr 15, 2009
    8
    0
    sweet, thanks I'll give that a go and see how I get on with that!

    Thanks!
     
  4. CDRIVE

    Senior Member

    Jul 1, 2008
    2,223
    99
    Unfortunately there is no set standard for this. 90% of all the wall warts have neg(-) connected to the shell and pos(+) connected to the pin. I always check because there's always the other 10%.
    Your best bet is to follow what eblc1388 posted.
     
  5. tarquinkrikery

    Thread Starter New Member

    Apr 15, 2009
    8
    0
    Hmm, ok so I'm a little confused.

    I know my power supply is negative tip - cos so are all my pedals and they work fine with the ps.

    So I've wired up the circuit as per above - works inasmuch as the batter cuts out when the ps is plugged into the dc socket. But the socket won't power the circuit. Dodgy socket?

    Circuit works fine off a 9v battery, but not off my 9v supply. I'm confused.com! lol. Help!
     
  6. eblc1388

    Senior Member

    Nov 28, 2008
    1,542
    102
    There can only be two reasons and one is the power supply is not -ve tip. But you have already ruled this one out.

    The next most probable cause is you have connected socket pin 2 & 3 wrongly. i.e. the pin 2 you are connecting to is actually pin 3 on the socket and similarly for pin 3, which is actually pin 2.

    Don't touch wire at pin 1(the tip pin). Unsolder the wires at socket pin 2 and 3. Swap wire and resolder them back to the socket again.
     
Loading...