9v Dc Socket wiring - PLEASE HELP ME! lol

tarquinkrikery

Joined Apr 15, 2009
Hi jus a quick question from an idiot - I'm really new to the whole electronics thing!

I've managed to make a circuit with LED's that works with a 9v battery. However I want to use a 9v DC power supply (that I use to power my guitar pedals - so negative tip) to power the circuit. I have a 9v 2.1mm socket (same size as the power supply jack), but don't know how to wire it into the circuit.

Am I right in assuming that as it's - tip, + sleeve, I wire the the sleeve of socket to the + side of my circuit and vica versa?

Only prob is the socket has a 3rd "prong" I'm not sure what to do with!

PLease help, I'm so close to finished my project! lol

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Am I right in assuming that as it's - tip, + sleeve, I wire the the sleeve of socket to the + side of my circuit and vica versa?
Unfortunately there is no set standard for this. 90% of all the wall warts have neg(-) connected to the shell and pos(+) connected to the pin. I always check because there's always the other 10%.
Your best bet is to follow what eblc1388 posted.

tarquinkrikery

Joined Apr 15, 2009
Hmm, ok so I'm a little confused.

I know my power supply is negative tip - cos so are all my pedals and they work fine with the ps.

So I've wired up the circuit as per above - works inasmuch as the batter cuts out when the ps is plugged into the dc socket. But the socket won't power the circuit. Dodgy socket?

Circuit works fine off a 9v battery, but not off my 9v supply. I'm confused.com! lol. Help!

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
I know my power supply is negative tip - cos so are all my pedals and they work fine with the ps.
There can only be two reasons and one is the power supply is not -ve tip. But you have already ruled this one out.

The next most probable cause is you have connected socket pin 2 & 3 wrongly. i.e. the pin 2 you are connecting to is actually pin 3 on the socket and similarly for pin 3, which is actually pin 2.

Don't touch wire at pin 1(the tip pin). Unsolder the wires at socket pin 2 and 3. Swap wire and resolder them back to the socket again.