9V Batteries and AAC Experiments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This isn't a complaint, or even a suggestion per se. One of the accessories I've made for my experiments is a 9V battery clip with IC clips soldered on. I prefer the IC clips because they have a much smaller area that might create a short, and (to me) have a better grab on a wire, which is a positive thing for a power supply source. They make ideal op amp sources in pairs, and 9V batteries are cheaper, if shorter lasting.

I was thinking of turning in some simple circuits for the experiments section that would use this arrangement. I doubt if this is a problem, but it never hurts to ask in advance. Both these accessories are available from Radio Shack, which is a bonus.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I would suggest maintaining the practice outlined in the e-book as it "means more" to the majority and maintains consistency across experiments.

Have you got a RadioShack link for clips?

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...p=&sr=1&origkw=clip&kw=clip&parentPage=search

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...attery+clip&kw=battery+clip&parentPage=search

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...attery+clip&kw=battery+clip&parentPage=search

The funny thing is, I have most of the battery adapters they advertise. Being into ham radio and electronic flea markets I've acquired a deep junk box. Truth, the alligator clips would work OK with the battery clips, but I've drawn a lot of sparks from alligator clips. I take one of the micro clips and clip it to the insulator of the other wire to shut it down.

I'm going to set up a 1 1/2V, 3V, 6V, and 9V battery adapters for my personal experiments. In some ways it is easier than setting up a variable power supply, and less expensive. Figure AA batteries and 9V throughout.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I know, but the Experiments section in the AAC eBook almost requires a Radio Shack part number. I understand the reasoning, and agree with it. Radio Shack is trying to change though, I think it is hurting them long term as they loose some of their core customer base.

I like the smaller version (that RS doesn't have) as they do a better job of grabbing a DIP chip and hanging on. The 6V batteries are expensive and bulky IMO, 9V batteries were made for solid state electronics and fit well with the protoboards.

Nowdays I buy cheap alkalines at the Dollar store.

I just noticed the price difference. Pretty large, though both are cheap. Fifty cents vs. three and a half dollars.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Check this out, work in progress...

The idea is to copy n paste the components on the protoboard.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Personally, I think citing the RadioShack part number is not so much a good idea for the very reason you indicate - that is that suppliers and availability change and hence this potentially breeds a level of obsolescence into the e-book text. The component should be cited and then the reader should be encouraged to use the forums for a component and supplier recommendation. This format is a legacy from Tony's work on the e-book.

I am familiar with the chips you mention, we have some in the lab at work with the little press-caps and metallic grippers that come out of the probe end.

The PCB layout is pretty impressive - part of your PaintCAD project I take it?

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yes, some of it was pre existing, as in the components. I'm laying out a protoboard to make illustrating some experiments I have in mind, and will also get used for the cookbook. If you and Dennis don't like the experiment it will still be useful, but I suspect both of you will. Work like this is never a waste, and tends to find uses that haven't been thought of beforehand.

I'm also learning XCircuit, the hardest part so far was I tend to leave a click down too long, and had to break the habit (took a little while to figure out this was what I was doing). A conscious effort at this time, but it will get easier with practice. When I get a little more comfortable with it I'll probably make a pest of myself asking questions about it. If I read the description of it correctly it is a true schematic capture program, unlike my PaintCAD concept. I'm hoping so at least.

Going back to PaintCAD Paint is almost 1:1 scale. The drawings I've put up there are very close to real size, frustratingly so. The approximate ratio is 1:0.96. Not sure why they didn't get it right on, but it make using Paint for other uses a pain, and I've been keeping my eyes open for other drawing programs such as XCircuit. I've actually made PCB's using Paint, but it taint no fun at all.

The one thing PaintCAD excels at is portability and ease of use, I remember my boy drawing with Paint at age 3, and the pictures were recognizable for what he was trying to accomplish. I'm sure he couldn't have done this by hand, children at that age don't quite see and interpret drawings the same way as later in life. How he did it was interesting too, he used the paste feature to stamp basic scribbles over and over to make the outlines, which came out surprisingly 3D in effect.

I've shelved Eagle Soft for the moment, but I'll get back to it. Something watching the forums has taught me is to simplify, I can make a schematic capture by using as generic layout for components as possible, as in using DIP chips instead of the gates and amps. The pretty drawings can be done any number of other ways. Way beyond that in my personal want to learn horizon is SPICE, I can see I've been left behind on the subject by quite a bit. My personal SPICE simulator is between my ears at the moment, and works somewhat well if not perfectly.

Another reason I want to work on some experiments, though a minor one, is it will let me work on SubML for the articles, learning it in the process. I'll probably post in the Projects forum or here and polish it. From there it can go to the AAC Book experiments and/or cookbook.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Personally, I think citing the RadioShack part number is not so much a good idea for the very reason you indicate - that is that suppliers and availability change and hence this potentially breeds a level of obsolescence into the e-book text. The component should be cited and then the reader should be encouraged to use the forums for a component and supplier recommendation. This format is a legacy from Tony's work on the e-book.
The only reason I agree with it is it gives a common ground concerning parts. The vendor could be any one, but I believe Radio Shack is international (aren't they?) and they offer such pretty pictures of their components. Like the way I linked on the post? :) Even folks in the deep country have a Radio Shack in the distance, at least I did while growing up.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've got to dig out a few more transistor case styles and this tool is done, in so much as they ever are.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Good price, but there are times you need more than 2. Batteries are cheaper in the short run.

We're also talking the experiments area.

Been thinking about it, another reason I prefer 9V over heavy duty 6V batteries is the equivalent current protection. A 9V can burn a chippie or transistor out, but a 6V can pop the top. For the solid state projects they use qty 2 6V batteries.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, twasn't obvious, but that could be useful. Wonder if they're all floating from each other, or 5 outlets...