9600 bps transistor switch issue

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by hemuz, Jun 12, 2010.

1. hemuz

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    hi all

i am making a receiver circuit that`s receive signal from computer serial port in optical form , the receiver takes the signal by a photo-transistor and gives the logic 1 (3.3v) and 0(0v) to micro controller.

the circuit i built works properly in 2400 bps, but their`s a delay in logic(1) rising in case of 9600 bps, can any one help me to find the reason , noting that the transistors i use support high speed switching much more 9600bps.

attached the signal i get in 9600bps and 2400bps and the circuit i make.

thanks

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Reduce R18 to say 4.7K.

The risetime of the voltage at the collector is influenced by the value of the collector load resistor and the transistors internal collector capacitance. Reducing R18 will reduce the risetime at the transistor's collector.

hgmjr

hemuz likes this.
  3. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Are you acquainted with the classical two transistor current mirror?

hgmjr

hemuz likes this.
  4. hemuz

Mar 7, 2010
    hi hgmjr

thank you for your relpy ,but the problem in the 1st stage , the time delay appears at the base of the transistor , the delay in falling on the transistor base in the reason of the delay of the rising signal in the collector , can you suggest solution for this

thanks again for replying

5. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Do you know anything about two transistor current mirror circuits?

hgmjr

hemuz likes this.
  6. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    For an introduction, see the AAC ebook explanation here.

hgmjr

hemuz likes this.
  7. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    If you scroll down in the AAC article to which I have link in the above post, you will see a figure containing two current mirror circuits (a) and (b). I would direct your attention to the one using two NPN transistors. If you replace the resistor labeled Rbias with your phototransistor and then take your output from the collector of the transistor with Rload in its collector circuit, you should be able to get an improved performance from your phototransistor.

hgmjr

hemuz likes this.
  8. hemuz

Mar 7, 2010
    dear hgmjr

Thank you again , i think that this solution will make a path for high current flow through the photo-transistor and the the transistor that`s connected to make a diode as shown in the attached picture that`s will lead to make a drop in the low current capacitor power supply i use , can we put a resistor somewhere that can serve the speed of switching of data and limits the current ?

hemuz

9. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Actually there is never going to be any significant current flowing in the phototransistor unless it fails. I don't think you are going to have to worry about power dissipation.

What is the highest frequency you can now respond to with this arrangement?

If you are familiar with the plots for the collector current versus Vce, then you will notice that the current mirror does not allow the phototransistor to saturate. That tends to make the phototransistor exhibit its fastest response time. That is because the load line is pretty much a vertical line unlike the case where you permitted the phototransistor to saturate.

hgmjr

hemuz likes this.
  10. hemuz

Mar 7, 2010

Dear hgmjr

i`ll try this experimentally and give you the result of the maximum data rate that`s this configuration supports , Mr.hgmjr Thanks very much for your help and support.

BEST REGARDS
    Hemuz

11. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    I look forward to feedback from your testing.

Keep in mind that now that you have this arrangement, you will be at liberty to adjust the value of the collector load resistor in the output transistor to the most optimum value since it is isolated from the phototransistor by the current mirror circuit.

hgmjr

12. hemuz

Mar 7, 2010
    back again ,

i tried to simulate the circuit in the orcad using a normal transistor instead of photo-transistor , by measuring the response it`s OK , but when i measured the current flowing in case if the photo-transistor on , it was very massive it`s about 8A , dear hjmgr can you show me how this circuit works without high power dissipation in case of the photo-transistor conducts and seems like very low resistance?

attached the circuit and result of simulation

thanks

hemuz

13. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    What you must keep in mind is that a phototransistor cannot achieve the same saturation currents that can be achieved with an ordinary transistor. It is not accurate to model a phototransistor with a standard transistor.

Do you have the part number for the phototransistor that you plan to use in your circuit? Then I can gauge better the maximum power you are likely to encounter.

hgmjr

hemuz likes this.
  14. hemuz

Mar 7, 2010
    this is the datasheet of the photo-transistor

in the data sheet page 6

Precautions For Use
    1. Over-current-proof
    Customer must apply resistors for protection , otherwise slight voltage shift will cause big
    current change ( Burn out will happen ).

hemuz

15. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    That's helpful.

Take a look at the plot of Vce against Ic. You will notice that the maximum current it represents is 10 milliamps. Even if it goes to the device maximum of 20 milliamps, the power dissipation will only reach 2.6V times 20 milliamps which only reach 52 milliwatts.

hgmjr

hemuz likes this.
  16. hemuz

Mar 7, 2010

nice !!!! , understood, this is so good , :) the next step is building the circuit and test it . i`ll put the result in this topic , Really Mr.hgmjr this is wonderful help from you ,

Thaaaaaaaaanks

Hemuz

17. hemuz

Mar 7, 2010
    Great , the circuit works properly to data rate near 28000 bps ,

Great thank you for hgmjr for help in this issue solving .

Best Regards

Hemuz

18. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    That is excellent news. Glad you were able to achieve performance in excess of that which you were seeking.

hgmjr

hemuz likes this.