9316B Rom replacement

meetpatty

Joined May 2, 2012
Hello all,

I am currently trying to work on what "should" be (or at least what I thought would be) a simple project involving a fountain gaming console (a radofin/acetronic/haminex compatible console from the 70s/80s).

Currently I am trying to create a homebrew cartridge of sorts that contains an eeprom that I can program with other games/my own creations.
For the base I am using a 2kb cartridge that contained a 9316B rom and I have replaced it with an at28c16 eeprom. I have successfully written to the eeprom using an arduino but for the life of me I can't get it to work. I have seen various sources quoting that the 9316B and 2716 are pin compatible (hence the 2816 should be too right?) and others saying pins 18 and 21 need to be swapped. I have tried both of these layouts and had no success.

Any insights/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am really at a loss as to why I can't get it to work.

Cheers.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are a number of things to check.

1) Compare the pinouts for 9361B, 2716, and 2816.
Make sure that the pinouts and functions match.

http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/spies.cgi?action=url&type=info&page=9316.txt

Can you determine how the CS signals on pins 18, 20 and 21 are connected?

2) Can you read both the 9316B and 2816 and compare the contents to verify that they match?

3) Can you program a 2816 with your own code and verify that the code and connection to the 2816 functions correctly when installed in the target machine?