???

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A bit off topic...One of my pet peeves is people putting a microprocessor in anything that uses electricity. Sometimes I indulge in a rant. AG seemed to have Tourette Syndrome about Chinese and Indian people. The difference is that microprocessors don't get their feelings hurt.

We still see incredibly ambitious posts like, "How do you make a GPS out of a PIC" or "I want my first project to be voice recognition to control a TV". In my opinion, impossible requests, but that's no reason to call them dirty names based on which country they are in.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
He never pooped on my parade, but then, I told him Americans don't have anything against Canuks, they just live in farther North America.:p

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Since we're talking about AG, I do miss his insight and expertise with analog and/or RF circuitry, but I could do without his attitude.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yep. One of few people that could smoke me in the audio spectrum, but he had this personal problem.:(

I will miss him.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
A bit off topic...One of my pet peeves is people putting a microprocessor in anything that uses electricity. Sometimes I indulge in a rant. AG seemed to have Tourette Syndrome about Chinese and Indian people. The difference is that microprocessors don't get their feelings hurt.
I was found of AG, perhaps because I also have that same inclination learned in to me by my experience in Silicon Valley. In the late 70's/early 80's, we went through a mass influx of Indian "engineers" and also Viet namese people after the fall of Saigon.

The flood of Chinese engineers was more recent (early 90's until now). I started at national Semiconductor in 1990 and at that time we had a few Chinese engineers in a department of about 15 people. When I was summarily booted in 2008, I was the last person in our department not chatting away in Mandarin each morning before the staff meeting.

So on the subject of China and India, I tend to exert a lot of restraint in forum postings.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I was found of AG, perhaps because I also have that same inclination learned in to me by my experience in Silicon Valley. In the late 70's/early 80's, we went through a mass influx of Indian "engineers" and also Viet namese people after the fall of Saigon.

The flood of Chinese engineers was more recent (early 90's until now). I started at national Semiconductor in 1990 and at that time we had a few Chinese engineers in a department of about 15 people. When I was summarily booted in 2008, I was the last person in our department not chatting away in Mandarin each morning before the staff meeting.

So on the subject of China and India, I tend to exert a lot of restraint in forum postings.
There are certainly some people that fit AG's stereotypes, but it's VERY important to remember that they're just that--stereotypes. Not all Chinese, Indian, or other east/west-Asian inhabitants fit those descriptions. That's why they were so harmful.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009

I wrote an answer to that, but decided against posting it publicly, since it touched political issues.
I sent you a PM instead.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I wrote an answer to that, but decided against posting it publicly, since it touched political issues.
I sent you a PM instead.
And I replied via PM. The reason I can't post it openly is because it might be considered political.

You may feel free to post my reply here in the forum since you are a moderator and make the call on that.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Oh well given the way things are going over at ETO AAC should be getting a load of people migrating back and others migrating here.

The suns polarity reversed so maybe site polarities can as well? ;)

Anyone want to start to negotiate trade deals on who for who? :D

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I second that. :D

At least they are actually trying. That's more than I see too many places, real life and internet, doing. ;)

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
A bit off topic...One of my pet peeves is people putting a microprocessor in anything that uses electricity.
And what's wrong with that?

I come from a 1970's analogue electronics background but it's a dream come true to be able to make electronic things with a microcontroller.

If you need a chip to do a job, then use a chip you can give instructions to! ;)

And don't forget these;

At about 2x3 mm in size they are a full processor in a smaller package than a single TO-92 transistor. Come on, what's not to like?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Come on, what's not to like?
Being the guy that is asked to repair the product. After finding the part number of that chip, buying one, installing it, and finding that it will not fix the problem because nobody tells how to program it or what the programming is.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I like to think of digital and analog as brains and muscle.

You have to have the right combination and applications of both to make something work.

Not everything can be done by one or the other. ;)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
To me, microprocessors are presently the state of the art in planned obsolescence. Any retail product that has one usually can't be repaired.

Ooh...It's a secret how that is programmed. Just throw it in the trash and pay me again.:p

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Today I lost a full day trying to reproduce procedures involving programming that went obsolete and without documentation within 1 year.

Bleeding edge progress sure has a way of setting you back, doesn't it?