???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Electric Al, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Electric Al

Thread Starter Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I hate to ask , but does anyone else subscribe to Electro Tech site ?

I do not use it often , but today it is not working !

Anyone know why ?

2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Many subscribe.
    It is working, but not properly. Just scroll down past the first screenful of rubbish.

3. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    The website does put up a bunch of random junk when I looked.

I used to go there but quit the place after they banned me for life for absolutely no reason. It said "spamming" and I had to look the word up because I wasn't sure what it meant.

One of the people here who goes there asked the moderators there what happened and they re instated me because it was done in error, but I never got an explanation or apology of any kind so I blew the place off.

They have one moderator in particular who does not tolerate anybody disagreeing with him and becomes especially angry when he is proven wrong. I suspect he may harbor some lingering resentment over the little disagreement we had with his country back in 1776, but I think it's time to let it go.....:D

LvW, #12 and DerStrom8 like this.
  4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Funny you should mention that. I too had a run in with the miserable little....ah nevermind.

5. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I used to be a frequent member there but had some unpleasant run-ins with a certain moderator, and that (among other things) made me decide I didn't want to be there anymore. I left a couple months ago and never looked back. I do miss a lot of the guys there, and the admin is a very friendly guy, but I just couldn't deal with some of the things that were going on.

Anyway, I just visited and it seems it's fixed--I don't see anything wrong with it. Well, software-wise, anyway :p

6. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I never go back to Electro Trolls Online.

DerStrom8 likes this.
  7. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    "Where the trolls are the moderators and the moderators are the trolls." :p

Just kidding, I really only hold a grudge against one of the mods there, the rest were good to me. But that one mod really knew what p!$$ed me off the most, and he made sure to do it over and over again....

8. Lightfire

Oct 5, 2010
    Unlike from those of Electro Tech, people here do not assume you know everything and try to point things and figure it out yourself. But one very slight problem here, is that sometimes our geniuses DO assume you really don't know know everything. :DIf there be any consolation, is that they teach the whole thing, very explained , out of that assumption!. Which is good, :D
    --------------I may be generalizing--

DerStrom8 likes this.
  9. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    I'm a semi active member over there. They have a moderator problem they cant seem to grasp the seriousness of but are willing to try their best to cover it up and eliminate all evidence of member dissatisfaction over it. Hence the mass migration of past ETO members to here I suspect!

Right now I am on full moderator review of every post I make due to someone elses thread I had nothing to do with. Seriously am I that much of a threat? :confused:

Another member made a thread asking what ETO is to its members and I got put on moderator review before I even knew the thread existed.

BTW here is what I am being block from saying I think ETO is.

Does this help any? :rolleyes:

BTW I gave them a heads up over this thread so the odds are they will be watching this for a bit. :eek:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    DerStrom8 likes this.
  10. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    That's a pretty darn good description, if you ask me. I know you've had some issues with mods in the past, so perhaps they're taking everything you say way too seriously, thinking you're going to start a fight or something. I know you probably won't do that, but I expect that's why they put you on review. Some of that description can be taken as rude, perhaps even pointed at those whom you say are "old half senile tenured ones" (though I'm sure that's only because they know who they are :p). I agree with what you said, but I really can't say many bad things about the site. I think they should wipe the moderation (all except one or two--one of them is actually a good friend of mine), and I like the admin. He's a pleasant guy who often participates and generally tries to make the site better. I am a bit concerned that he has turned a blind eye towards one or two moderators who have clearly let the power get to their heads, but provided you stay away from them and be extremely polite 100% of the time you should be ok. However, if you're like me and sometimes let your rude side loose, you'll find yourself in a heap of trouble even for the most harmless of things. Tread lightly, that's my advice to you if you plan on joining ETO.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Another ex-ETO participant here.
    I wasn't there long enough to understand the place before I had trolls following me around just to contradict everything I posted...and the moderators allowed it, even after I asked them for help.

12. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Surprisingly I feel the same. No major ill will here either. Site admin and two of the three mods plus past ones still have my respect and as most everyone else it was just one mod that gave me issues. :)

I still contribute over there but every time one of their idiotic over reactions take place I feel less and less like sticking around. The putting me on mod review preemptively was a bit much being I didn't really even have a cat to toss in this fight. They caught me by such surprize I had to go out and find one. (I'm petting him backwards and feeding him sour milk now.) :D

DerStrom8 likes this.
  13. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    When you call them "half senile", I think you are selling them short....... the one I remember bonking heads with was fully senile.

#12 and DerStrom8 like this.
  14. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    What's really hilarious is I got banned at another forum whose name I won't mention, never did figure out why..... and to this day they keep sending me the monthly newsletter and updates on all the interesting threads. When I click on the link to "unsubscribe", I just get the same error screen saying I am banned.

Idiots.....

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Umm...I can block emails from any particular source in Outlook Express, but I hear that program has been, "improved" to Windows Mail so it might not do that anymore.

16. ericgibbs

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 29, 2010
    tcmtech.

I have read thru the linked thread on AAC, this what I see.

BountyHunter.
    He did get a PM saying sorry about the Ban error, he never replied.
    This happened because of changes in the site software

Papabravo. [edit last posted: Nov 8, 2009]
    The Mod he refers too was not me, I was not a Mod at the time he left ETO.

Derstrom.
    We did have a disagreement about the way he spoke to an OP asking about an Homework question, why he decided to quit ETO over such a small difference of opinion, I dont know.? I was sad to see him go, I wish he would contact me so that we resume our talks on Chat.
    He was never banned or warned by me.

Brownout
    Was not Banned by me, he got into trouble after being repeatedly provoked by you.!
    I was disappointed that he was Banned because he used to check my ETO test modules for me.

Lightfire. [ edit: this guy is not a member of ETO]
    Never heard or seen him on ETO.??

tcmtech.
    You had warnings over the Brownout incident for which you were temporarily banned.
    You are the only on your list I temporarily banned some time ago for making adverse comments about Moderation.

So out of this 'list of others', there is only one I know of other than you, with whom I had a disagreement.

Regards
    Eric

17. ericgibbs

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 29, 2010
    Deleted. Error in posting
    Eric

18. 3v0

Mar 26, 2009
    I do not know if it was reported here, I expect it has, Hans aka Boncuk's death has been confirmed. I want to mention Hans so I felt it was only right to point out his passing first. He is missed. RIP

Boncuk and I worked on a few projects together and became friends. One day on chat he was doing his racist thing and I whispered to him that he should not. That whisper must have killed his first born! The man went ballistic. It was never the same between us after that, and it is was one of the reasons I gave up moderation. You can loose friends and make enemies just by enforcing the rules.

On ETO everything but spamming has to go through a process. If a moderator were to ban people for personal reasons EM would come down on that moderator like a ton of bricks. If you were banned you worked to make it happen, or maybe your not a good fit for a forum that does not allow bashing others.

One thing I really dislike about moderation was time wasted attempting to explain why people should follow rules, and how their breaking them was bad. Its been a year or 3 since I was moderator and here I am wasting more time explain the same old stick.

Live free, be happy, on whatever forum best fits your temperament!

Happy New Years 2014 everyone :)

19. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    There were several reasons--several events--that made me decide to leave ETO. It was not just the homework thread. Many times I've been warned about the stupidest things. I have been called names, discriminated against, and have run into many trolls that I reported and nothing was done about it. I have been singled out and spoken to by moderation for simply repeating what the rules clearly state, and some of my posts have been mod-edited for no apparent reason. I just grew tired of it all. The people here seem much friendlier, stricter towards trolls, and more willing to help. They seem more focused on the people than on the "book". They don't have long processes they have to go through before banning a troll. Here, if the person is being a troll, he is warned or banned. That didn't happen at ETO. Even if moderation believed a member was a troll, it took them months to take care of the problem. Here at AAC they don't allow it at all and they respond instantly. That's how it should be.

I used to see him there frequently. I think he went under a different name, which escapes me now.

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    That was my main pain on a site that, "does not allow bashing others".

Yeah. Right. You can't uphold your own standards and complain when I try?
    You threaten to ban me for believing the rules of the site?
    There aren't any publicly acceptable words to describe how I feel about that.

Quit, "wasting more time". Take your zero post count and go back where you seem to be able to make sense of the situation.