90 degree phase shift

kunalpowar1203

Joined Feb 26, 2012
How do i create a signal which is shifted by the original one by 90 degrees. ??? This signal has a max freq of about 30khz.All the other characteristics must be the same.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Well that makes it a bit easier.
I can think of a number of ways of doing it - phase-locked loop, digital counter, shift register etc.
Simple solution is to use a frequency doubler and D-flip-flops.
What kind of resolution do you need?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
For a square-wave 90° delay you could measure the period with a microprocessor and then have it generate a square-wave delayed by 1/4 of the period.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
.........I can think of a number of ways of doing it - phase-locked loop, digital counter, shift register etc.
Simple solution is to use a frequency doubler and D-flip-flops.
What kind of resolution do you need?
How do those methods generate a 90° shift? :confused: Any approach that uses the edges of the signal will generally be changing states at 0° or 180°.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I would use a PLL to generate a square wave that is x2 the signal frequency.
OK, that would work if you use a phase detector with 0° phase-shift at lock, such as the Type II detector in the CD4046. Then you use a divide by 2 counter clocked at the falling edge of the doubled signal to get the shift. You would need to also reset the counter at the rising edge of the input signal to insure that the delay is 90° and not 270°.

This only works, of course, over the lock range of the PLL.