9-11 Memorials

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is interesting how perceptions change across the pond. Remember the Oklahoma City bombing, the one that demolished the Federal Building? There was another try made at the Twin Towers before the successful attempt, and it wasn't a small explosion either. Then there have been the many other attempts that didn't succeed either due to incompetence and stupidity of the perps or the exceptional competence of law enforcement. Within the last two years a Islamic kid (born and raised in the USA in Dallas) tried to blow up a building in Dallas. Or Times Square in the last year?

I'm sure I can find a lot more examples if I look. Local events tend to be remembered by locals, but don't assume you know history somewhere else. The fact is the USA has some very good people on the job, or I could quote many more successful attempts.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
America have NEVER had a single bomb dropped on the mainland. I think thats lucky!
There were balloons carrying bombs that made to to the mainland USA from Japan.

The Japanese had captured a couple of Aleutian Islands during WWII. I was stationed on Attu Island, in the 70s and 80s, which was one of them. Granted that is not the lower 48 (mainland).

The British managed to bomb the mainland ... back during the War of 1812. In fact, Francis Scott Key wrote about that bombing of Ft McHenry. Today those words are the "Star Spangled Banner", the National Anthem.

Never is rarely never.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yes way. Didn't study the War of 1812? Then there was the occasional encounter during our civil war, while the US north blockaded the US south. It wasn't until the 20th century the USA and Britain started playing nice.

The Star Spangled Banner was written by Francis Scott Key as a POW while he watched aboard a British ship bombarding Fort McHenry along with the rest of the fleet.

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
The elderly knows a lot more about history. But I hope we all find peace with the future generations to come. Hopefully, people will start helping each other and make good use of the planet's resources, instead of killing each other.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
The best insurance of peace is an ample readiness for war.

A bully never picks on someone who appears ready to fight him.

Those who would have us lay down our arms, would see us destroyed by those who are waiting for us to become weak and feeble

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
There no answer for the concensus,world history has
caught up with us.We see how small the world Is,and
how big our problems are.The Internet Is no help,we
don't understand the globe or the people.Worry about
your gold.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The elderly knows a lot more about history.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
--- George Santayana 1863-1952

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
--- Edmund Burke 1729-1797

A Brit (Burke) and a Yank (Santayana) gave the same advice. The Brits and Yanks share a common culture seperated by the English language.

Only knowing one's own generation's history; keeps repeating the cycle.

I took it as a compliment.

World consensus is a tought one. It's tough enough to get three people to completely agree. :D

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
We all have one thing In common,I have never found anyone
not able to count how much money they have.People that Invest
on paper think they know until they cash out and pay the fee's.
You pay a fee to buy,a fee to cash out and the fee's that you pay
In the fine print that allows your agent to make good deals for you.
I know most of you under stand that,but they say there a person
willing to learn every minute. Good Evening Joe

Last edited:

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
i guess the reason why i (and most kids in brit) did not know that is because that war was at the same time as the battle against nepolian. by the looks of it the americans seemed to do some great damage to our royal navy, damn :D

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Learning history is very important. It's harder to work for peace than to start a war. Young people should be careful about the media. In the long run, the media has an enormous effect on people's opinions, beliefs and many other social aspects . They can make you forget certain tragedies and keep some others alive, occasionally in favour of something they want you to remember.

I am glad to have found this forum, which has a lot of credibility and full of people providing help with a genuine interest. A place where I can share my opinions and have reliable information back.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
History my friend,should show us how to save lives at battle.
Early wars they would fight all day and return to camp where
there families were camped. Then we started crossing oceans
to do battle. A lot of people would die because of time to get
battle orders to the front and supplies.That Is not same today,
Instant communications. They leave the zone and return each
day according of new reports.A lot happens each day as they
go back and forth.Do you have better battle plan to save lives
and change history. You are In charge of the battle for peace.