8ohms-4ohms

Cobs

Joined Sep 25, 2012
Hi guys can anyone please tell me how I can reduce an 8Ohms tweeter to 4Ohms
Thanks for your help

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
well it all depends on what that tweeter input comes from..... is it connected to a crossover circuit or any kind of Hi-Pass filter circuit, etc.?

Cobs

Joined Sep 25, 2012
Hi yes I will go through a crossover the problem I have is the original tweeter they no longer produce parts for but I have found a voice coil that will fit from the same manufacture
Thanks

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
a 4-ohm resistor is required to match the impedance for crossover values to remain the same, although, the efficiency of the new tweeter should be a consideration, since adding the 4 0hm resistor will drop the output by 3 dB.

Cobs

Joined Sep 25, 2012
Hi and thanks for the reply would you be able to tell me the colour code for that and where to put the resistor ??

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
you would put it in series with the speaker, BUT, this will dissipate half the wattage so it will get hot..... I would find a sufficiently rated resistor for that, but I really would not recommend doing it this way, you can always add another 4 ohm tweeter in series with it, or get a different crossover that can handle driving the 4 ohm tweeter.

It is a non-standard value, I doubt you will find one off the shelf > Yellow, black, gold

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
You forgot to post the crossover circuit. Sometimes it is just one simple capacitor in series with the tweeter to block bass sounds. Replace the capacitor designed for 4 ohms with a capacitor having half its value for 8 ohms.

If the new tweeter is not loud enough then simply turn up the treble tone control.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ihansw General Electronics Chat 1