8086 Assembler

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by maxfourier, Sep 9, 2011.

1. maxfourier

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 7, 2011
    All i need is a 8086 assembler. That is something that looks like Notepad/text editor and runs assembly level code like (the following)

-------------------------
    .model small
    .stack 100h

.data
    msg db 'Hello, world!$'

.code
    start:
    mov ah, 09h ; Display the message
    lea dx, msg
    int 21h
    mov ax, 4C00h ; Terminate the executable
    int 21h

end start
    ---------------------

And thats it! But nothing works. I search everywhere. First i found this 8086 emulator (emu8086). Then i tried various assemblers. But seriously, I can do nothing. All of them (thier exe's) just flash a Dos window for a milisecond and then just disappear. (NGASM, FASM, AdaptAsm, A86, TASM) I tried doing that cmd stuff but it dint work. Plus i don't want to get into that. Is there something that work and is Zen, Minimal? :confused:

I have this Douglas Hall text which tells me all kinds of stories about 8086 instructions which i can get in any manual but it dosent tell me how to assemble programs & it wont even give me the name of an assembler. :mad:

Moreover, there's nothing on youtube. Someone needs to make assembly level tutorials like thenewboston or something. Starting from zero.. :(

Give me a link or something. I can't (don't want to) learn the instructions for my exams without actually doing the programming.

2. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    have you tried opening the terminal first and then running the program?

3. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    I think you have run those in a dos simulator. I use dosbox to play old dos games like lemmings. You can download it here http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1 as I understand it will work on newer windows system. I will look in my old floppy disk archive. If I still have it. But I think I got rid of all that stuff a long time ago. I hated the 8086 assembler

4. nigelwright7557

May 10, 2008
    I loved the 8086 assembler, I wrote PCBCAD program in around 1990 using 330,000 lines of assembler. I used an 8086 assembler and editor i wrote myself in 8086 assembler.

5. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Not bad at all. At that time I used a cracked version of something called traxedit running under DOS. Made by protel. The traxedit software was cracked by a staff member of technical high school was a student at. And put on the school server by the staff. For the benefit of the students. Tings has changed since that time:D. By the way. To day the traxedit program is freeware. It can be found on the Altium website. To run it on a "modern" computer you have to use dosbox.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  6. RRITESH KAKKAR

Jun 29, 2010
    I have not worked so much in 8086 stimulator than 8085...
    download