8051 UART (Problem solved).

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Dritech, May 1, 2015.

1. Dritech

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hi all,

I am trying to test the 8051 UART. For now I tested it using Proteus and it worked fine.
    Now I am trying to test the actual circuit using Tera Team. I connected the USB to Serial cable to the 8051 learning kit board which has a build in MAX232. The connector I use is labeled as ET-DOWNLOAD.
    Why there is no communication and when I turn Tera Team on the hardware freezes (i.e. the reset button on the board does not function, LED does not refrech etc.), but when I turn Tera Team off it functions again?

Any help would be highly appreciated and sorry for my poor English.

2. ericgibbs

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 29, 2010
    hi,
    The USB to Serial converter I use, has TTL levels for the serial inp/outs, so if you connect a MAX232 you will get a signal inversion also it will be approx +/-9V levels.
    Check the serial connection voltages with your DVM.
    E

3. Dritech

Sep 21, 2011
    Problem solved thanks :)

4. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    I'm curious, to learn more about the solution.

5. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Yes, has question and had answer should be sharing to other members.

6. Dritech

Sep 21, 2011
    Hi, sorry for not giving the solution.
    When connecting the ET-DOWNLOAD cable, the 8051 learning kit board assumes that a new program will be burned to the microcontroller, hence causing the freezing.
    I used 3 single stranded wires and connected the common ground, TX and RX only and not the complete connector.
    Again, sorry for my poor English.