8051 Microcontroller Project and its Power Supply

amansohi1417

Joined Aug 24, 2008
I have to make a 8051 Project in which i have to display four digits one after the other with the delay of 30 seconds between each display. After the display of digits i have to display four alphabets with same delay between each display. Any suggestions ??

But the major issue here is that i also have to make the power supply circuit for the above project and have to give proper reasoning behind the usage of a particular device. Any help ??

I have some few ideas:

For the Power Supply circuit i plan to use:
One 9 V trannsformer
One IC 7805
One IN 4007
One Ceramic Capacitor- .1 uF

For the Microontroller Project:
8051 Microcontroller
Four 7 segment common anode displays
One crystal oscillator 11.0592 Mhz
Two Capcitor 53 pF
Two Capacitor 10uF
One 2-4 Decoder 74LS139
Ten Resistors of 10 KΩ

Any suggestion would be eagerly anticipated !!!

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I suggest you to put a 470uF capacitor at the output of the voltage regulator. Also, you will need some current limiting resistors for the displays.
By transformer you mean an AC/DC adaptor or just a single transformer?

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
You need to use a bridge rectifier to rectify the output of the transformer and an electrolytic capacitor of about 1000uF after the output of the rectifier. After the capacitor connect the voltage regulator.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
It would be better to buy a ready one AC/DC power supply to drive your circuit but take care of it to be regulated.

Arm_n_Legs

Joined Mar 7, 2007
YOu can try the Atmel AT89C5131 for your choice of 8051. Codes can be downloaded into this chip from your PC USB port by using the free FLIP software from Atmel. No programmer needed.

A simple ac/dc power adaptor plus the use of a 7805 should do fine for the power unit.