8051 compiler

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
For time immemorial I've been using A.D. Software's 8051 Macro Assembler Version 4.00j to compile all of my 8051 assembly programs. It's free, easy to use, and truth being told, until now I have not needed anything else, since I consider the text editor the most important part when writing assembly code. And for that I use the most excellent Programmer's Notepad.

But.... this little jewel dates back to 1985, and I'm sure lot's of people in this forum are younger than that and probably know a better or different compiler.

Anyway, since Macro Assembler is a 16 bit program it won't run anymore on a 64 bit platform, unless one downloads and uses the cumbersome dosbox emulator for that, and I'd like to move forward into the 21st century and use that relic no more.

Could anyone here recommend a good and easy to use (or rather very easy to use and also very free) 8051 compiler that can run in a 64 bit Windows OS?

Thanks in advance

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
For time immemorial I've been using A.D. Software's 8051 Macro Assembler
Sorry I can't help you there but look forward to what may come of your request. Wasn't 2500AD just GREAT stuff? I still have several of their compiler/assemblers on the shelf. Probably useless by now.

Thanks for the post and good luck.