80 Gig or better IDE hard drive

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by spinnaker, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I have a Tivo DVR that I was able to rise from the dead. I suspect it was HD issues but the on board diagnostics seemed to have fixed that up.

I want to hack it and install a new HD. It has a 60G but looking to upgrade and not spend a ton of money. Anyone have a 80G IDE or better they no longer need?

2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    You probably know more about this than I, but I will tell you what I have been told. I was on the phone with comcast troubleshooting a reception issue and I asked about putting a bigger hard drive in my DVR. The tech said if you put a different hard drive in it, it will not work, even if you make an exact of the hold hard drive onto the new one. Not sure if he was only blowing hot smoke. I'm sure even if there is some merit to what he said, there is a way around it, but just be safe, be prepared to find something standing between you and your new improved mega DVR.

3. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    I think he was blowing smoke. You can even add a drive if you wish. The Tivo is probably the most hackable DVR out there.

The plain Tivos are even far more hackable than my Direct TV version. I am pretty certain you can add them as a device on your network. Not so sure you can do that with the DTV version.

4. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Mine's not a tivo. it's a somethin-else. Not sure, but sounds like you're on your game, so I'll leave you to it.

5. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    Yeah the proprietary DVRs are not as nearly hackable if at all. I think the companies learned from the Tivo experience. :)

It is an amazing DVR. It is hard to believe they have not taken off more. I guess most people just want to plug in a box and go and are not worried about how you can expand them.

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I did a little research on it when my Dad was out there. It can be done, and is fairly straight forward. The research is available too, though some want to sell the literature.

7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    You really don't want a used hard drive. They have a service life of around 5 years; after that they're living on borrowed time.

8. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    The machine is designed for a old style IDE (AKA pata) hard drive. I don't think there is too much choice, as there aren't too many choices out there. We have the First and Third saturday sidewalk sales out here, I've bought more used hard drives than I care to count with mostly good results.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I have so many used hard drives that I had to make a second box to hold them...but nothing for you. All but one are 30 gig or less and the 72 gig makes a high pitched noise when it runs.

To answer the obvious question...I keep backup copies on them. They are worthless as replacement parts, but I have about a dozen OS backups for friends and family.

10. tom66

May 9, 2009
  11. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    Thanks everyone. Looks like a co=worker has one for me. It is only a short term backup solution. I might be moving to Windows Media Center in the next few months or stick with DTV and get their HD DVR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.