8-bit comparator using FPGA

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by mojo_risin, Mar 2, 2016.

1. mojo_risin

Thread Starter Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Hello

I have to design a comparator circuit which compares two 8-bit numbers and has two outputs min and max (for the greater and the smaller number). I know how to code it in VHDL, but I need to implement it using 4-input LUTs only on paper. I have spent two days trying to figure out how I will do it and cannot come up with an answer.

Any help/direction will be awesome!

2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Using LUTs and only LUTs?

How many outputs does each LUT have?

If you could use a single LUT, how many inputs and outputs would you need?

3. mojo_risin

Thread Starter Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Using only 4-input LUTs. Each LUT has only one output.
    I can't use a single 16-input LUT because I need to have a total of 16 outputs (2 x 8 bit).

4. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Yes, you would need a 16-input LUT. Keep in mind that a LUT is just a bank of memory, such as SRAM, and can have as many outputs as you like. So you would need a 16-output LUT.

So how many bits of memory would be needed using a 16 x 16 bit LUT?

How many 4 x 1 bit LUTs would be required to have this same amount of memory?

Do you understand how you would use a LUT like that to implement your function?

The next question is whether we can figure out a way to implement the function with fewer bits of memory.

5. mojo_risin

Thread Starter Member

Jul 3, 2013
    16 x 16 LUT - I do not know how this can be implemented. I understand the comparator from programmer's perspective - in code everything is clear.
    One 4-input LUT uses 4*4=32 bits of memory, am I correct?

6. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    If you have 4 inputs, how many different input possibilities are there?

If you have 1 output, then how many bits of memory are needed per possible input?

7. mojo_risin

Thread Starter Member

Jul 3, 2013
    I think I have made a mistake.
    4 inputs means 2 to the power of 4 possible combinations - 16. But I don't know the answer of the second question.

8. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    You have 16 possible input combinations. Each combination produces one bit of output. How much memory is required to store all of the possible outputs?

9. mojo_risin

Thread Starter Member

Jul 3, 2013
    64 bits?

10. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    LUTs are memory arrays, but that doesn't mean that this is a memory programming problem. There is another approach to this. Design a circuit that meets the problem description - something that compares two 8-bit values, something that makes a decision based on that result, and something that steers data based on that decision.

ak

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016