8 bit Binary Magnitude comparator

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A parallel 8-bit magnitude comparitor requires simultaneously operating on 16 bits of data. Muxes only allow you to look at half the data at a time, so do not seem well suited.

A serial magnitude comparator, where a pair 1 of 8 bits are selected out of the two 8 bit bytes, could utilize a tree of muxes.

allaboutlogic

Joined Jan 9, 2015
A parallel 8-bit magnitude comparitor requires simultaneously operating on 16 bits of data. Muxes only allow you to look at half the data at a time, so do not seem well suited.

A serial magnitude comparator, where a pair 1 of 8 bits are selected out of the two 8 bit bytes, could utilize a tree of muxes.

I mean, I made it with 70-80 MUXes, i want to decrease the number,

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
You should not need THAT many muxes to do the job.
You probably could make a unit that compares one bit position strating with MSB, if one bit is higher than that number wins, if they are the same you enable the next stage, repeat until you reach LSB.

allaboutlogic

Joined Jan 9, 2015
You should not need THAT many muxes to do the job.
You probably could make a unit that compares one bit position strating with MSB, if one bit is higher than that number wins, if they are the same you enable the next stage, repeat until you reach LSB.
I finally reduced the number to the minimum I think.

I managed to implement it with 23 MUXes.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Just my 2 cents...not entirely relevant:

A NAND gate can be built with two 2:1 muxes. Therefore, any logic function can be realized by a combination of 2:1 muxes.