74ls193 up and down counter. ]

colts89

Joined Mar 15, 2012
Hello. I am a sophmore in digital electronics and at the moment we are making a "Now Serving" display, which is 0-99 counter using 74ls193 circuts to digital boards. Now, i was able to get the main project done, we have an extra credit oppurtunity if we can make the 74ls193 circuts be a able to have an "increase by one" push button and a "decrease by one push button at the same time.

Because i am a noob and don't know how to attach the msi file onto here or put it in a format to do so, i was just wondering how would one make a up and down counter on two 74ls193 chips at the same time. Would we use the borrow out or carry out pins?

Thank you

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I don't totally understand your question.

First, for a 0-99 counter I would assume you would use two 74LS192 BCD counters, not the 74LS193 binary counters.

Second, what is an msi file?

Third, if you want the two counters to count up and down then yes, you need to connect the borrow and carry pins which go to the respective CPd and CPu pins of the higher order bit counter.

crutschow said:
I don't totally understand your question.

First, for a 0-99 counter I would assume you would use two 74LS192 BCD counters, not the 74LS193 binary counters.

Second, what is an msi file?

Third, if you want the two counters to count up and down then yes, you need to connect the borrow and carry pins which go to the respective CPd and CPu pins of the higher order bit counter.
My DE class is doing the same assignment. Some information that the OP left out are:
You are required to use 74LS193, the LS192BCD's are not an option.
The only other IC's you can use are 74LS48 and simple AOI gates (and the clocked edge, ofc).

As for your second point, an MSI file is a file type specific to the National Instruments Circuit Design Suite's MultiSimulator software for PC.
\[Note to the OP\]: MSI's are not universally used, nor any other circuit design software.

I'm not attempting to hijack this, but my OCD about logic correction has piqued my interest. :)