74AC240 replacement

manishkr.iitg

Joined May 23, 2012
I am currently working on beam robotics. I am not able to find an IC which is being used in a lot of circuits. Its 74AC240. It's an octal bus buffer with 3 states outputs (inverted). I tried google but was unable to find an alternate for this IC.
Any help in this regard will be of very much help to me.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Can you replace it with any other 74xx240 circuit. This will depend much on supply voltage and load. Can you post a schematic showing the circuits around your 74AC240 IC. That would help.

manishkr.iitg

Joined May 23, 2012

Here is the complete circuit. Actually, 74xx240 series is not available in my local market. This is an octal buffer. I just meant to ask whether I can use another octal buffer IC in this circuit. And if yes, what would it be?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Why use an octal buffer in the first place?
What are the voltage and current requirements of the motors?
What are you attempting to do with the two motors?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009

Here is the complete circuit. Actually, 74xx240 series is not available in my local market. This is an octal buffer. I just meant to ask whether I can use another octal buffer IC in this circuit. And if yes, what would it be?
Can you post the full schematic. It is not clear to me how the circuit function in the circuit.

manishkr.iitg

Joined May 23, 2012
well that's the complete circuit. I having nothing extra.

why use octal buffer?
Well because it was written in the part list. I have no idea what it does.
Well the circuit here is of a light following robot.
You can see two photodiodes and two motors. The rpm of motors will change depending on which diode receives more light. that's all.
If you guys are interested, do visit this:
http://costaricabeam.solarbotics.net/Circuits/Vores_Main.htm

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You should consider the following:

1. You cannot source the 74xx240 where you are.
2. You ought to learn how every circuit works that you try to build.

Why not replace the octal buffer with a pair of transistors?