74191 to count up and down with no switch.

gvesho

Joined Oct 19, 2013
Hi guys. I'm new on the forums and new to electronics for about 2 years now. I'm having some trouble counting from 0-9 then 9-0 continuously on a 74191 counter. I understand that its a 4 bit counter and it counts to 16 so i created a glitch with a nand gate to count to 9 by teeing Qb and Qd to the nand gate. I can get the counter to count either up or down with a switch but im trying to get it count continuously with out a switch.

So basically i wanted to count up from 0-9 then back down from 9-0 and over and over again. This is where i need some help understanding.

Thank You

Schematics
CLK is coming from a 555 timer
up down counter.png

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You can use the carry (pin 12) and borrow (pin 13) outputs of the 74191 to set and reset a latch that controls the U/D input.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Look at the up/down pin on the counter... now, you want to toggle that when you hit a certain value, 0 and 9. Look at a T-flip flop...

gvesho

Joined Oct 19, 2013
Look at the up/down pin on the counter... now, you want to toggle that when you hit a certain value, 0 and 9. Look at a T-flip flop...
i cant seem to find a t flip flop nor have i learned about them. is there any other way, maybe using gates???

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
i cant seem to find a t flip flop nor have i learned about them. is there any other way, maybe using gates???
You can make any flip flop from any other with the correct addition of some gates.

However, it need not be a T flip flop, it just needs to remember what direction the counter should be counting in, and change states when the last count of a sequence is detected...

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The '191 is a binary counter, the max/min and RCO won't be useful for a 0-9 count.
Partially true. I forgot that it's a binary counter, so he can't use the Carry out at the upper count but he can use the Borrow out for the 0 count.

For a negative triggered (change state for a zero input pulse) latch, you can use two cross-coupled dual-input NAND gates.